Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Galaxy 2?

General and high profile video game topics.
Retrology

Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Postby Retrology » January 26th, 2017, 8:19 pm

These two games are to me, the holy grail for the Wii and the Mario series in general. The gameplay tinkered with gravity, physics, and loads of gameplay mechanics, and we loved them for it. They revolutionized physics in gameplay, had great design, graphics, and music.

With that said, which game is better?

The first Galaxy definitely had more of a wow factor, but the 2nd game gets my vote. True, it feels like a DLC version of the first game, but it's much more creative, faster paced, and diverse, so much so it makes the first game feel like a chore in comparison! The music isn't as great, but it's still great. The overall variety and multitude of hidden secrets and areas gives it loads of replay value.

Thoughts?

Paul Campbell

Re: Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Galaxy 2?

Postby Paul Campbell » January 27th, 2017, 1:15 am

The only thing I hated about either of them was the stupid Mario-Head-Spaceship-Planet thing in the second game. I don't know why, but I HATED that. Hated it. It was just beyond weird and arbitrary. As a result, first game gets my vote. :)

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » April 11th, 2017, 8:17 am

I'm currently replaying super Mario galaxy 2. I'm on the 2nd world, and from what I remember, I liked the game better than the first because the gameplay was more linear. The first game was legendary as well. Overall, I liked the second game better due to the more linear gameplay and map screen.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 11th, 2017, 9:23 am

I haven't played the second one, but I'll still vote for the first one because it had a hub world vs the linear progression system the second one had. That place was neat, even if I was constantly questioning why the bathroom had a galaxy in its ceiling. I even liked the library that told you Rosalina's story.

GTS

Postby GTS » April 11th, 2017, 5:27 pm

I've played through them both twice with 100% completion, and loved them both. I disagree with the comment that the 2nd game is like downloadable content; it's a whole new fresh world of a game. I remember thinking 2 was a little bit better, but can't remember why. I plan on playing them again one day, but I'm hoping for a HD makeover.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 11th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:The only thing I hated about either of them was the stupid Mario-Head-Spaceship-Planet thing in the second game. I don't know why, but I HATED that. Hated it. It was just beyond weird and arbitrary. As a result, first game gets my vote. :)

It's funny, I actually remember you talking about hating that in these forums years ago. Sorry Paul, I think it is such a strange thing to get hung up on :lol:

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 12th, 2017, 1:25 am

ESauce wrote:
Paul Campbell wrote:The only thing I hated about either of them was the stupid Mario-Head-Spaceship-Planet thing in the second game. I don't know why, but I HATED that. Hated it. It was just beyond weird and arbitrary. As a result, first game gets my vote. :)

It's funny, I actually remember you talking about hating that in these forums years ago. Sorry Paul, I think it is such a strange thing to get hung up on :lol:

You're right. It's really a dumb thing to get hung up on, but that's my nature. I can't help it. :)

Rev

Postby Rev » April 13th, 2017, 4:28 pm

I loved both games but I liked the second more. However they are both very high quality games.

Return to “Video Games General”