Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy rated E10+ from the ESRB! (The PS1 versions where all rated regular E back then!)

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy rated E10+ from the ESRB! (The PS1 versions where all rated regular E back then!)

Postby Sonicx9 » February 16th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tSpxblKUqM

It could be do to 2 things?

1. The original PS1 games where all rated long before E10+ was a thing!

2. The standards are much stricter today compared to the mid to late 90's Pre-Columbine High School massacre because these games despite having a regular E rating have gotten away with some cartoon violence content that is not appropriate with a standard E rating compared to back then such as guns. (One of the bosses in the first game uses a gun, the wumpa fruit gun in Crash 3.). Some of the death animations such as the censored death animation in the Japanese release of Crash 2. The somewhat controversial Tawna character because of being inspired by Pamela Anderson, and being considered inappropriate by some.: http://crashbandicoot.wikia.com/wiki/Tawna, along with her N. Sane Trilogy version being toned down due to the current SJW movement/today's CERO standards to bring the game to Japan if they choose to do so.

Thoughts?

pacman000

Re: Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy rated E10+ from the ESRB! (The PS1 versions where all rated regular E back then!)

Postby pacman000 » February 16th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Hmmm... The E10+ rating is newer that the Crash Bandicoot games. If the lower level T rated games are approved for E10+ it makes since that the upper level of the old K-A & E ratings might be bumped up a notch.

Then again I thought E was the 10+ rating when Crash 2 & 3 came out, w/ K-A as an all-ages rating. Don't have cite for that tho.

Sonicx9

Re: Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy rated E10+ from the ESRB! (The PS1 versions where all rated regular E back then!)

Postby Sonicx9 » February 16th, 2017, 8:36 pm

pacman000 wrote:Hmmm... The E10+ rating is newer that the Crash Bandicoot games. If the lower level T rated games are approved for E10+ it makes since that the upper level of the old K-A & E ratings might be bumped up a notch.

Then again I thought E was the 10+ rating when Crash 2 & 3 came out, w/ K-A as an all-ages rating. Don't have cite for that tho.

There are actually are plenty of examples like this, but I probably will make a list of some of the more interesting ones later on when I get the chance, as I am tired!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 19th, 2017, 10:14 am

Timely post. I am reviewing Rocky Rodent for the SNES and I just watched Rocky getting machine-gunned down by a crime boss at the end of stage two. I wonder what rating this would get today? Mature 17+?

I suspect the old Loony Tunes cartoons would be banned outright.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 19th, 2017, 5:40 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Timely post. I am reviewing Rocky Rodent for the SNES and I just watched Rocky getting machine-gunned down by a crime boss at the end of stage two. I wonder what rating this would get today? Mature 17+?

I suspect the old Loony Tunes cartoons would be banned outright.

My guess is an E10+, because games with cartoon violence like that are given these days to get that rating.

These days, it is very rare for a standard E rating to be given unless you are most of Nintendos family friendly games like most Mario/Kirby/Pokemon/Yoshi games, etc, or some of EA sports offerings like Madden and FIFA, or casual mobile games like Angry Birds, etc. It does prove that regular E is a dying bread age rating, as people often see it as too childish compared to games with an E10+ rating or above, not counting the rarely seen EARLY CHILDHOOD rating because it is only used on pre-school educational games instead of mainstream releases.

I still need to make a post listing examples related with this topic when I get the chance.

GTS

Postby GTS » February 20th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Do people even look at the ratings anymore? With games going more mainstream and the deluge of downloadable titles for phones, I can't imagine people are worried about the content any more. I play first person shooters a lot and I sometimes hear 7-year-olds playing (they scream a lot when they are losing :D ). Granted, the ones I play are the space marine type games, so it's the Star Wars kind of violence.

Return to “Video Games General”