Games that justify the hardware purchase

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland

Games that justify the hardware purchase

Postby scotland » March 8th, 2017, 12:12 am

Are there games so good they justify (become a reasonably strong - not rock solid) investing in a piece of hardware?

I know its often hyperbole, but there are games that get this appelation. This is not just about the Switch and Zelda, but any hardware - new, classic, or modern retro.

For instance, maybe Golden Axe 3 is enough reason to buy a Genesis Flasback, or maybe Bosconian so good it justifies a Namco Ms Pacman plug and play, or maybe Blazing Lasers justifies a TG-16, or Pokemon justifies a GBC, etc.

Think of hardware - portables, consoles, even PCs - and is there a game that drives the investment so strongly it 'justifies' the whole investment. if so, is it commonly referred to as or just your opinion? Make an argument.

MoarRipter

Re: Games that justify the hardware purchase

Postby MoarRipter » March 8th, 2017, 1:00 am

I don't think there's a single game that matches that criteria more than Wii Sports. Millions upon millions of people bought a Wii just for that game. Bundling it with the Wii was one of the smartest decisions Nintendo has ever made. I think pretty much everyone would agree that Wii Sports was the Wii's killer app. It perfectly demonstrated the Wii's capabilities, it was easy to play, it had universal appeal for all ages/genders, it was easy to understand and Nintendo realized this and capitalized on it to great success.

This Iwata Asks column from the Nintendo archives gives an interesting view into the development of Wii Sports.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/wii_sports/0/0

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 8th, 2017, 4:40 am

If I didn't already have one, I'd buy an N64 just to play Super Mario 64. That cartridge has several games' worth of ideas packed into it.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 8th, 2017, 6:48 am

I remember HAVING to get a 64 for Mario Kart 64. The Snes version was so much fun, that the sequel justified the 64 purchase. Of course, Some people may have felt that way about Mario 64.

Later on, I'm sure there were folks who got a 64 just for Goodeneye and Smash Bros.

And I'm sure a LOT of people bought an Xbox JUST for Halo.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » March 8th, 2017, 7:53 am

I mean, isnt it the games that justify every hardware purchase? :lol:

scotland

Postby scotland » March 8th, 2017, 9:01 am

Rookie1 wrote:I mean, isnt it the games that justify every hardware purchase? :lol:

Yes and no. I was talking about a singular game that spurred a sizeable investment, in the same way as if your favorite sports team makes it to the championship game, would that spur you to buy a huge 4k tv for that event? Sure you still have a new tv after, but the old one was still good, and you could have spent the money on something else.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 8th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Voor wrote:Later on, I'm sure there were folks who got a 64 just for Goodeneye and Smash Bros.

Oh, good call; I'd definitely get a GameCube or Wii for Melee.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » March 8th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Slightly obvious observation at this point, but Breath of the Wild is easily the best reason to own a Wii U or Switch.

It sounds quaint in this day and age, but Tetris sold millions of Game Boys all by itself.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » March 8th, 2017, 4:25 pm

scotland wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:I mean, isnt it the games that justify every hardware purchase? :lol:

Yes and no. I was talking about a singular game that spurred a sizeable investment, in the same way as if your favorite sports team makes it to the championship game, would that spur you to buy a huge 4k tv for that event? Sure you still have a new tv after, but the old one was still good, and you could have spent the money on something else.

I bought a WiiU strictly because for the new Zelda game. There were a handful of other games that were the icing on the cake, but had BotW came out exclusively for the Switch I would probably have no WiiU and be waiting it out for the Zelda Edition Switch bundle to pick up.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » March 8th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Going old school:

2600: Space Invaders, Warlords, Pitfall
INTV: AD&D, Burgertime, B17 Bomber
CV: Donkey Kong, Jumpman Jr., War Games

Return to “Video Games General”