Primal Rage 2

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Primal Rage 2

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 15th, 2017, 4:48 pm

I was just reviewing Primal Rage for the PS1 so this article really caught my eye:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/ ... -rarities/

I would really like to play Primal Rage 2, although the human-like characters don't seem to match the style.

I think I'll try to burn that Dreamcast racer to disc so I can review it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Primal Rage 2

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 15th, 2017, 4:55 pm

Anybody ever burned a Dreamcast game to disc? In this case it's a GDI image. I have no idea how to do that.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 15th, 2017, 5:21 pm

I have burned a few dreamcast games but have never seen a gdi image. I googled it for you and found this page. The short answer seems to be: it's not worth the trouble.

http://theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4035

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 15th, 2017, 5:36 pm

I know nothing about burning games. But if it's something you're interested enough in, maybe you could reach out to someone to do it for a small fee. For example, I follow a guy on instagram that makes homebrew Dreamcast games for a reasonable price. I'm sure something like this would be a piece of cake for him. Just a thought.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 15th, 2017, 5:42 pm

I took a look at that link you posted and someone already did the work of converting it to a burnable format. Here's the link you want:

https://mega.nz/#!ywVTEIbR!ghQsFXXHq8aU ... Yx_tUVOzLc

Once you extract the rar file there, you'll want to download the program imgBurn to burn the cdi file inside to a disc. Just open the file with imgBurn and stick a CD R in your drive, and I recommend switching to the lowest burn speed before burning.

I might burn myself a copy.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » March 15th, 2017, 8:04 pm

I've had good fortune using the BootDreams application on Windows to burn ISOs of Dreamcast games, they play just fine on my 1999-built Dreamcast. Use good quality burnable media, I usually use TDKs and they haven't been much of an issue. Memorex have given me problems. Burn speed doesn't seem to be an issue as long as you don't exceed what the media is rated at however I usually burn at a slower speed just for peace of mind. I've read that later models of Dreamcasts, those built near the tail end of production, the black SEGA SPORTS model, etc have problems reading burned discs.

If you really get into burning Dreamcast games be aware that some will require that a separate boot disc, such as the Utopia boot disc, be loaded into the console before loading the game disc.

Return to “Video Games General”