Switch off to a strong start

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland

Re: Switch off to a strong start

Postby scotland » May 12th, 2017, 11:57 am

For kids, compared to an iPad, I would say there is no contest. The Switch doesn't have any notable non-gaming apps, which are important. Its overpriced, and its too big for a kid. For the price of one game on the Switch, I can buy a library of mobile games to keep my kid occupied substantially longer. You may mock mobile games, but for kids, they can be fantastic. Add in long battery life and sturdy protective housing, and I would recommend a tablet for kids over the Switch.

Despite the large amount of Nintendo advertising for several months, including the Superbowl and lots of advertising on television, Nielson reports only 7% of nongamers age 13 and up have even heard of the Nintendo Switch, and 29% of self described gamers.

You can download the whole Nielson report here if you want to pony up personal information to Nielson:
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/reports/2017/us-games-360-report-2017.html?afflt=ntrt15340001&afflt_uid=LnqVuB1UHOU.gnQzRlQsznPMZkSaCxRLkEI1q3faVr3j&afflt_uid_2=AFFLT_ID_2

Or read an article about it here:
http://nintendotoday.com/switch-nielsen-survey-results/

For the Switch, recall that the Gamecube sold about 22 units million worldwide. In its first 6 months, it sold about 3.8 million units, and about 9.5 million in its first year and a half. The Switch is already closing in on selling 3 million units. Given that the Gamecube's first 6 months included the holiday shopping period, I would say the Switch is off to a strong start relative to the Gamecube.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 13th, 2017, 6:29 am

Another sign of success are the stories being written. I am seeing stories like:
"Third parties developers reconsidering the Switch"
"What if Nintendo isn't dying?"
"Minecraft is perfect on the Switch"
"Switch the innovative console that is for everyone"
and frankly idiotic things like having the Switch be on a top ten list of Ten Most Influential handheld consoles. The most recent of anything cannot yet be influential, as there is nothing yet to show its influence.

Nothing breeds success like success, and a strong start may bend tne curve for the Switch. While it goes against the core concept of switching from portable to immobile, I wonder if a cheaper portable only model is in the works to replace the 3DS line now.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » May 13th, 2017, 6:41 am

scotland wrote:I wonder if a cheaper portable only model is in the works to replace the 3DS line now.

Yeah, its the NEW 2DS Super Mega XL Extreme Megaton Hyper Edition

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 13th, 2017, 11:08 am

Rookie1 wrote:
Time will tell tough. I will say the marketing for this thing is massive. I have started seeing it everywhere. Its high price, however, doesnt make it kid friendly. My GF got her some an iPad mini for $150 over the holidays last year with a life proof case and that thing is indestructible. He left it outside the other day during a rain storm and nothing happened to it. Cant say that for the Switch.

You have sold me.. next purchase will have to be an ipad... cool.

Sorry NIntendo... an Ipad sounds way more fun.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 13th, 2017, 3:49 pm

I also think there's something to be said for the consumers rejecting the status quo that game companies have been ramming down our throats the last few years, including:
- games that require massive installs and endless updates
- physical media games that require internet
- EULAs that make gamers sign all their rights away
- big budget titles designed for DLC over fun
- consoles that require constant maintenance

The Switch feels like a throwback to the old days. For the first time in a long time, I can walk into a store and buy a video game for my Switch, knowing it will work as soon as I pop it into my system.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » May 13th, 2017, 7:54 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:
Time will tell tough. I will say the marketing for this thing is massive. I have started seeing it everywhere. Its high price, however, doesnt make it kid friendly. My GF got her some an iPad mini for $150 over the holidays last year with a life proof case and that thing is indestructible. He left it outside the other day during a rain storm and nothing happened to it. Cant say that for the Switch.

You have sold me.. next purchase will have to be an ipad... cool.

Sorry NIntendo... an Ipad sounds way more fun.

You make fun, but that thing is endless entertainment. Nothing but free apps on there and they can watch all their favorite disney and nick shows, play a ton of game, and learn about all kinds of stuff.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » May 16th, 2017, 10:11 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I also think there's something to be said for the consumers rejecting the status quo that game companies have been ramming down our throats the last few years, including:
- games that require massive installs and endless updates
- physical media games that require internet
- EULAs that make gamers sign all their rights away
- big budget titles designed for DLC over fun
- consoles that require constant maintenance

The Switch feels like a throwback to the old days. For the first time in a long time, I can walk into a store and buy a video game for my Switch, knowing it will work as soon as I pop it into my system.

Quite honestly, on forums and chatting with people, I don't see anyone mentioning those above points. I know those things are a big thing with you Critic, but I don't think people are buying this system because of that. I think people for the most part really like the option of playing the Switch anyway they like, on a big screen or as a portable.

That's the main selling feature, and I think they've nailed it. Portable gamers are buying it, and console gamers are buying it. And gamers who want both are buying it.

I love the idea that I have the option to play Breath of the Wild both ways. It's a 100 hour game, and I can't sit in my basement tied to the tv for 100 hours playing this game by myself. But, I can now play it on my back deck, on the couch beside my wife, lying in bed, on a big huge HD tv, etc. I think this is connecting with gamers.

Others have mentioned the lack of games, but we have to remember, it's only been out 2 months! And, E3 is only a month away.

I'm going to predict that by December, there will a much different view about the number of games released for the Switch. And, I think this E3 will be huge for Nintendo.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 16th, 2017, 12:02 pm

bluenote wrote: I think people for the most part really like the option of playing the Switch anyway they like, on a big screen or as a portable.

What's kinda funny is that Nintendo had this back with both the SNES and the Gamecube, if to a lesser degree of just letting you play a portable game on a console. The Switch now brings that to playing your console games to a portable, but its an evolution that isn't such a big leap even just looking at the company's own past. However, the SNES and Gamecube were portables that were competitive with the cutting edge of tech at the time.

Return to “Video Games General”