Keep Politics out of video games

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Keep Politics out of video games

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 10th, 2017, 8:50 am

I saw a Game Informer article and I thought I read the title wrong. It's "Get Your Politics Into My Game". The crux of the article was that since movies are infused with politics, and video games are an emerging media, games should also embrace politics.

I think this is a bad idea. I am aware of movies that try to push political views, but I tend to find that to be a major turn-off. I play video games to escape real life. I don't play to be preached to.

I understand that sometimes you need to get somewhat political in subtle ways in order to hash out characters and storylines (Bioshock comes to mind). But if video game developers start to become heavy handed with it, they are going to turn off a big part of their audience.

Your thoughts?

pacman000

Re: Keep Politics out of video games

Postby pacman000 » June 10th, 2017, 10:22 am

My thoughts:

I don't mind an expression of a viewpoint per say, but I'm less likely to enjoy a game if I disagree with said viewpoint. Not sure if video games are a great for promoting a viewpoint. Games should craft an experience for the player; they don't seem well-suited for the complex stories or discussion needed for political thought.

Afraid this topic could turn into an outright political discussion instead of a discussion of politics in games, but that's your call. :)

Zachwave

Postby Zachwave » June 10th, 2017, 11:19 am

Sigh, I know it is easy to say "it depends" to everything ever, but I genuinely mean that when it comes to Media.

I think there is a time and place, politics if a necessary angle of your game, be done in a tasteful and not obviously bitter way. I am a huge fan of history, and history does indeed repeat itself. Without politics, strategy games would be missing that extra reasoning for the player to get involved in.

My opinion is also of this with pop culture references. If it's not done tastefully it'll be stale, and quite jarring.

There are a lot of games that are bluntly using CURRENT politics as a gimmick or selling point, and that has to stop. I don't think games should be politically correct or over the top vice versa. Everything should make sense within reason, and if it has to go overboard, explain why and in an interesting away.

----

I think political broad strokes are better then actually focusing on one political person - ie a video game has a typical fascist party w/ evil dictator versus oh that guy is clearly Reagan, Putin or Hitler etc etc.

I think there are people now more than ever before in video games who are self interested in leaving their mark with a powerful message (in their minds) than making games fun. That why since the second half of last year's generations did we get all those artful "walking sims" and more so ever since.

I'm probably gonna flip flop on the idea, I definitely prefer games that are more stategic, history or world building then a quick plug and play so I am going to disagree with you on somethings but, putting current politics (I'm obviously avoiding any finger pointing) in your game is such a pathetic cop out for any actual plot or character building, I am probably not going to play your game.

Watch_Dogs 2 comes to mind, there's quite the parody in there. Same with the new Deus Ex (even though I love all Deus Ex, I can't help but just roll my eyes).

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » June 10th, 2017, 1:22 pm

It depends on the game. Just as I don't want to be preached to when I see a popcorn muncher, I don't want to see political statements in AAA gaming. If developers want to do smaller scale indie titles that delve into politics, then I'm all for that. Game companies need to know the how, why, and when.

I do think that too many mediums are being influenced by politics, to the point where the escape hatch is shrinking. If it comes about organically, then so be it, but I do get annoyed when I see it shoehorned.

GTS

Postby GTS » June 10th, 2017, 3:08 pm

I personally don't agree with the article's premise that "movies are infused with politics." Something political to one person isn't political to another. I've seen a lot of online outrage about certain movies being political, but if I watched those same movies without reading the online outrage, I would have never known the movie was political.

I personally love Star Trek, but some see it as "liberals in space." Funny, but I can see their point.

No matter what you produce, movie or game, it's going to be political to some, and non-political to others.

Sut

Postby Sut » June 10th, 2017, 5:08 pm

I'd rather keep politics out of gaming. Here in the U.K. the country is divided more or less down the middle politics wise, so if games were to get political you potentially upset half of your players.

JWK

Postby JWK » June 10th, 2017, 7:48 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote: I play video games to escape real life. I don't play to be preached to.

Hit the nail on the head, Dave. These two sentences sum up my feelings exactly.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 10th, 2017, 8:57 pm

GTS wrote:I personally don't agree with the article's premise that "movies are infused with politics." Something political to one person isn't political to another. I've seen a lot of online outrage about certain movies being political, but if I watched those same movies without reading the online outrage, I would have never known the movie was political.

Exactly. No matter what you do, someone is going to have an axe to grind. Especially these days.

Tron

Postby Tron » June 11th, 2017, 1:13 am

I'd like to see a game with Trump starring in it. If the game was actually good it might get some people more interested in politics. Also it would give people one more reason to either love or hate him and isn't that what everyone wants.......more reasons to love or hate this man?

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » June 11th, 2017, 8:14 am

Pretend science (gender identity) is willful ignorance, Social Justice is disrupting businesses, and the people who irrationally hate Trump likely got him into office quicker than those with a mature viewpoint, it seems. I'm getting sick of developers appealing to the SJW and regressive cults, I will not buy their product if they choose soapboxes over quality in any department.

Return to “Video Games General”