HDMI Cable Racket

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

HDMI Cable Racket

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 14th, 2017, 9:08 pm

So I noticed my Retron 5 came with a 3-foot HDMI cable. 3 feet! How is this even close to being long enough? I need 6 feet at minimum.

The thing is, I've noticed a lot of electronic devices do this. It's like they make deals with the cable companies, agreeing to include ridiculously short cables with the system so the customer has to immediately run out and buy another.

So I stop at Home Depot and wouldn't you know they only had the "premium" $25 cable. And it was only 6 feet! I notice these cables had bigger plugs which are supposed to denote "quality" but in reality just makes it harder to plug in.

I went to another store and was lucky to pick up an off-brand 9-foot cable for $15. Yeah I know it's still twice as much as I would have paid on Amazon, but oh well.

I really thought the days of the old "Monster Cable" scams were behind us, but I guess not!

Tron

Re: HDMI Cable Racket

Postby Tron » June 14th, 2017, 9:18 pm

I'll bet Hyperkin has made deals with some of those off-brand cable manufacturers, while Sony and Micro$oft have been making deals with some of those premium cable manufacturers.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » June 14th, 2017, 10:09 pm

There's a Ollie's Bargain Outlet in my town and that's where I've picked up most of my current HDMI cables - you can get a less expensive cable for 3.99 or an imitation Monster-type cable for 5.99. Only catch is they were all 6-foot cables - I needed a longer cable to connect my PC to my TV without moving it from under my computer desk and had to order a 25-foot cable on Amazon for about $10. Always check the dollar-discount stores first if your town has one - the same rule applies to buying a nice power supply.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » June 15th, 2017, 1:24 am

Yeah I was really excited to use my retron 5 the day I got it and ended up having to wait two more games for a longer hdmi cord from amazon. A 3 foot hdmi cord is worthless to me

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » June 16th, 2017, 7:03 am

I got a pack of 6 foot and a pack of 10 foot HDMI cables on ebay for like $5 shipped each. I think they came in packs of 3. Been using those for years. Dont buy them at a store unless you want to pay a 10000% markup.

There is a store by me called 5Below that sells 8 footers for $5. Thats not too bad if you dont want to wait.

Return to “Video Games General”