Games that are so bad they're awesome?

General and high profile video game topics.
leftovergamer

Re: Games that are so bad they're awesome?

Postby leftovergamer » June 20th, 2017, 11:21 pm

The VGC canned Impossimole for TurboGrafx 16, so I expected a lousy platformer at best. What I got was a game so profoundly terrible it was hilarious. Everything about Impossimole is wrong: the ugly character (and he doesn't look anything like a mole), the concept (just watch the opening), the shoddy controls, the cheap hits and bad hit detection, the unavoidable enemies, the useless weapons, and even the eye-roll-worthy title. The opening intro sequence is so lame, I was laughing for days (be sure to watch for Impossimole's distinct butt-shaped head!). My personal vote for worst game of all time, because everything about it is so awful.

Apparently there are other "Monty Mole" games, and I'm pretty sure any of them would be better than Impossimole.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » June 21st, 2017, 12:39 am

The original Monty Mole games on the ZX Spectrum are considered classics, but they're considered classics by people who grew up with the ZX Spectrum, which had the clunkiest, most spitefully designed library of platform games ever.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 21st, 2017, 3:51 am

I looked it up.

Impossamole is considered the worst of the series, because it took the usual sadistic fun to the level of a troll. Your attacks are questionable, there are invincible enemies that look like ordinary enemies, and you only have one life.

It has its defenders, but they seem like the same kind of folks who enjoy turning innocent NES roms into a series of literal jump scares.

The Turbografx version isn't an exact port, so much as a creative romhack that managed to disappoint everyone.

Return to “Video Games General”