Systems You Have Sold Off

General and high profile video game topics.
CaptainCruch

Re: Systems You Have Sold Off

Postby CaptainCruch » June 27th, 2017, 9:09 am

Of all the systems I owned I also sold off my Sega Master System... and I regret it until this day, so I'll not sell another system, even if it's just collecting dust.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 28th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Doesn't there come a point where you have so many systems, it inhibits you wanting to buy anything new? Wouldn't selling an older system allow you the liberty to expand to a new system? Look at your gaming habits - do you continue to explore your old system's libraries, or do you focus on collecting for newer systems? Do you play on emulators or retro equipment?

I have a lot of systems, but I've explored some to my satisfaction. I know there are a number of Saturn fans here, but for myself, I am pretty much done with it. I have not booted it up in some time. I don't need to sell either the Saturn or the games to finance the pursuit of another system, but I feel like I have so many libraries to continue to explore, or other systems to sample. For instance, I've never played a Spectrum.

Emulation would let me emulate a Spectrum. The stigma against using ROMS seems to be about the level of making a minor social faux pas these days. Its not the same as having a real Speccy, of course, but it can now be argued that its actually 'better' that the original in some sense in giving things like save states, pauses, access to large libraries or rare games, or even output more suited to the televisions most people actually have.

Remember the new SNES Classic is just an emulator. Lots of Gen X'ers or Millenials may buy it because of nostalgia. However, the older Baby Boomers are downsizing, and whatever they collected is on the market at fire sale prices. That wave of downsizing will hit Gen X'ers too, and instead of buying nostalgia, they'll be selling too.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » June 29th, 2017, 8:24 am

scotland wrote:Doesn't there come a point where you have so many systems, it inhibits you wanting to buy anything new? Wouldn't selling an older system allow you the liberty to expand to a new system? Look at your gaming habits - do you continue to explore your old system's libraries, or do you focus on collecting for newer systems? Do you play on emulators or retro equipment?

I have a lot of systems, but I've explored some to my satisfaction. I know there are a number of Saturn fans here, but for myself, I am pretty much done with it. I have not booted it up in some time. I don't need to sell either the Saturn or the games to finance the pursuit of another system, but I feel like I have so many libraries to continue to explore, or other systems to sample. For instance, I've never played a Spectrum.

I have come to the conclusion that I just want consoles that I have some sort of history with. I just sold off my entire 3DO collection, because it just collected dust and I had no attachment to it. However, I just bought a master system and an intellivision to which I have an attachment to.

Return to “Video Games General”