What are the most overrated and underrated consoles???

General and high profile video game topics.
mbd36

Re: What are the most overrated and underrated consoles???

Postby mbd36 » July 12th, 2017, 12:29 am

Cataclysm wrote:One way to determine overrated and underrated consoles is the market value of their re-releases. While I would love to see a re-released Saturn or even Virtual Boy, we can only see the early systems.

Underrated: NES. How anyone can say the NES is overrated after the NES Classic Mini creating a market phenomenon where people would line up at stores overnight is someone who doesn't understand the NES (clearly many of the people here. NES is still not well understood). Even Nintendo, themselves, underrated the NES and were shocked that the Classic Mini had the demand it did.

Maybe the NES is underrated in some parts of the world where it didn't catch on (like the UK). Overall though I'd say that it is one of the most praised systems of all time, which is fine by me.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » July 12th, 2017, 10:58 am

To me, the NES is neither underrated or overrated. It's exactly where it should be. It's universally loved, and deservedly so.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 12th, 2017, 11:53 am

Cataclysm wrote:I grew up with the Commodore 64 and thought games like The Giana Sisters were 'awesome'.

The Great Giana Sisters is worthless, but the C64 has tons of awesome games. Project Firestart, Turrican II, and Exile are some of the most perfect classics on any 8-bit system.

Zachwave

Postby Zachwave » July 12th, 2017, 12:28 pm

I definitely do not think that the GameCube deserves its praise, but it is not a bad console in any regard. I am a huge Sega fan, and even I think the dreamcast is a little bit over rated (just a pinch).

Underrated, I would say the Sega Saturn, Sega Master System are easily equals for most underrated console. Especially when you compare them to their contemporaries and their public discourse. I do have a huge soft spot for the Atari Jaguar though....

Return to “Video Games General”