I may stop visiting this site

General and high profile video game topics.
Gleebergloben123

Re: I may stop visiting this site

Postby Gleebergloben123 » July 15th, 2017, 11:12 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I just replaced all the ads from a 3rd party provider with plain google ads.
This may help narrow things down a bit. Uploading all the files now.

Dave, knock on wood but that seemed to do the trick. I just wish that the issue could be isolated because it would stink if you lose revenue over this.

noah98

Postby noah98 » July 15th, 2017, 11:56 pm

Seems to be fixed now!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 16th, 2017, 9:33 am

This is a relief. This was totally stressing me out the other day. I was getting close to ripping every last ad off the site. I would rather have no ads than chase away readers.

The problem is, when you sign up for these services like GoogleAds you have very little control what they display. And since Google has never said they "vet" the ads, they probably don't know either. If Google screwed up, they probably swept it under the rug as soon as they could. You'd think a big company like Google would be a little more responsible.

I don't think the third-party provider was at fault this time (didn't use them with forums) but I'm reluctant to reinstate them now that everything is working.

I think the ads industry will improve, but right now it feels like the Wild wild west.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 17th, 2017, 9:05 pm

So my buddy Chris, who helps me review games all the time, tells me tonight "I'm not going to your site anymore!" Apparently he was encountering the same issues you guys were a few days ago! I explained to him that I had taken measure and it appears to have been resolved.

But if my best friends had that reaction I can certainly understand how casual readers must have felt!

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » July 17th, 2017, 10:00 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So my buddy Chris, who helps me review games all the time, tells me tonight "I'm not going to your site anymore!" Apparently he was encountering the same issues you guys were a few days ago! I explained to him that I had taken measure and it appears to have been resolved.

But if my best friends had that reaction I can certainly understand how casual readers must have felt!

Well in my defense, when I started this thread, I was tired, frustrated that I was getting redirected, and most importantly, drunk out of my gourd :mrgreen:

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » July 18th, 2017, 9:00 am

noah98 wrote: on the mobile version the banner ad at the bottom of the page advertises "Hot Arab Women"

I've been sitting here in my underwear all night trying to recreate this problem...

Sut

Postby Sut » July 18th, 2017, 10:43 am

Paul Campbell wrote:
noah98 wrote: on the mobile version the banner ad at the bottom of the page advertises "Hot Arab Women"

I've been sitting here in my underwear all night trying to recreate this problem...

:lol:

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 18th, 2017, 6:29 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The problem is, when you sign up for these services like GoogleAds you have very little control what they display.

Third party ad networks are malware delivery systems. You know this. By adding them to your site you are deliberately exposing people to malware.

You have mods pre-approve every post on this forum, but you allow third parties to serve up whatever in the hopes of making ad impression revenue.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 18th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:The problem is, when you sign up for these services like GoogleAds you have very little control what they display.

Third party ad networks are malware delivery systems. You know this. By adding them to your site you are deliberately exposing people to malware.

You have mods pre-approve every post on this forum, but you allow third parties to serve up whatever in the hopes of making ad impression revenue.

Personally, I've resorted to ad blockers in chrome to avoid this type of stuff. When I remember I'll click through the critic's Amazon links instead to give a little and make up for disabling ads.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » March 15th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Appears the malicious ads are back. When I clicked on Dave’s latest skiing review, 4 times I got redirected to a scam site ($1000 free gift card or something).

Using my iPad. Didn’t notice which ad was causing this (FYI back in August I believe the malicious ad was Pattaya Hotels).

Return to “Video Games General”