I may stop visiting this site

General and high profile video game topics.
Gleebergloben123

Re: I may stop visiting this site

Postby Gleebergloben123 » July 15th, 2017, 3:37 pm

noah98 wrote:It looks like whenever the "Pattaya Hotels" ad runs on the top banner, the redirect happens. Maybe?

Spoke too soon. Got redirected again on my iPad. But like Noah, it occurred when Pattaya Hotels was advertised at the top.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 15th, 2017, 3:49 pm

I was able to go into my google ad settings and block all ads for hotels. Let's see if that helps.
I also sent feedback to google with this info.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » July 15th, 2017, 3:52 pm

Unfor I'm still getting it Critic. 7 times it redirected me before I finally got on here.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » July 15th, 2017, 4:52 pm

matmico399 wrote:Unfor I'm still getting it Critic. 7 times it redirected me before I finally got on here.

Yeah, same here. I'm on my desktop now. It happened 3 times in a row. And each time, for a couple seconds before I get redirected, Pattaya Hotels is advertised. That ad is still popping up.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 15th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Thanks for letting us know. This has turned out to be fairly widespread.

I have been on the desktop site using Windows and Firefox, plus mobile using Chrome, and not encountered it yet. I've navigated to reviews, articles, splash page, forum pages, etc. The pattern I'm reading is that once you have been redirected, its persistant. Its possible that once you have encountered it, the ad left a cookie or something behind in the site history. In firefox, you can easily clear your browsing history or specific cookies from a site. For instance, I have 5 cookies from videogamecritic.com in my browser history. Clearing those might help.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 15th, 2017, 5:38 pm

AdBlock plus NoScript = no problems

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » July 15th, 2017, 5:45 pm

scotland wrote:Thanks for letting us know. This has turned out to be fairly widespread.

I have been on the desktop site using Windows and Firefox, plus mobile using Chrome, and not encountered it yet. I've navigated to reviews, articles, splash page, forum pages, etc. The pattern I'm reading is that once you have been redirected, its persistant. Its possible that once you have encountered it, the ad left a cookie or something behind in the site history. In firefox, you can easily clear your browsing history or specific cookies from a site. For instance, I have 5 cookies from videogamecritic.com in my browser history. Clearing those might help.

For me at least, it's only been on my iPad. And I must have cleared my website history and data at least 20 times now. I'm using Safari on my iPad. And I believe someone else had this redirect issue on their phone as well. Not seeing any issue on my desktop yet. I'm on my desktop now, and I just tried my iPad again. The Pattaya Hotel ad still pops up, which is odd since Dave said he deleted all hotels. Not sure what's going on.

noah98

Postby noah98 » July 15th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Seems like there is something with the JavaScript ads. Still getting redirected on the iPhone + iPad unless I use the mobile version or disable JavaScript.

Another weird thing, on the mobile version the banner ad at the bottom of the page advertises "Hot Arab Women" which seems inappropriate for this type of site. I've never seen that type of ad on this site before! Even when I report the ad to google as inappropriate, and it promises not to show it again, it's still displayed on the site. The hotel one still appears on the full site as well.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 15th, 2017, 7:09 pm

On a browser you can do a shift-refresh to reload everything cleanly, but I don't know how to do that on the iphone or ipad.
I am not seeing the issue on my end.

Is the site working okay for everybody else? Please chime in if you get a chance.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 15th, 2017, 7:23 pm

I just replaced all the ads from a 3rd party provider with plain google ads.
This may help narrow things down a bit. Uploading all the files now.

Return to “Video Games General”