I Like Short Games

General and high profile video game topics.
ptdebate

Re: I Like Short Games

Postby ptdebate » July 23rd, 2017, 9:50 am

To be honest, although I do like other types of games, if I could no longer play RPGs I'd probably just stop gaming.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 23rd, 2017, 9:58 am

Voor wrote:I'm a real life dad, and my issue is that I have other hobbies that also fill up my down time--music, biking, swimming, reading, movies, etc. Video games used to be #1, but as I get older, it slides down the list.

You are not alone on this site, my friend. Many of us have probably put video gaming on the shelf for long periods of time for one reason or the other. Video games are just a hobby.

With kids, I find I have 2 options - take that time you have, say after the kids are in bed, to game, and integrate the kids into some form of gaming with you. This could be playing Minecraft with them, or playing Gunslinger on the Atari 2600 or Ecco the Dolphin on your Genesis, etc. I have found trips to the arcade have been great fun (and gives the other parent some time for themselves, so its a win-win)

Voor

Postby Voor » July 23rd, 2017, 3:22 pm

Yeah, I do the after kids are in bed thing, but often I'm pretty dang tired myself zzzzzzz

I tried introducing video games to my kids (girls) via the NES Classic, but they weren't interested. They like tablet games more. Oh well, not gonna push the issue

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » July 23rd, 2017, 9:31 pm

While I certainly prefer shorter games, recently I've been putting in crazy hours into some games. It really all depends on the genre and game. I don't want a 25 hour Resident Evil game. Likewise I don't want a 6 hour RPG.

I do think a big problem is with reviewers who dock games for "lack of replayablitiy" or for being too short. It forces game developers to cater to the critic rather than just make the best game possible. There is absolutely nothing worse than padding in a game that should have ended after 8-10 hours, but the developers stretched it out to 15-20. Games get to a point where they're not throwing anything new or interesting at you...at that point you just want it to be over. There is no worse feeling than slogging through the limp, boring, tacked on final few hours of a game that should have been 5 hours shorter.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » July 27th, 2017, 7:39 pm

scotland wrote:
Voor wrote:I'm a real life dad, and my issue is that I have other hobbies that also fill up my down time--music, biking, swimming, reading, movies, etc. Video games used to be #1, but as I get older, it slides down the list.

You are not alone on this site, my friend. Many of us have probably put video gaming on the shelf for long periods of time for one reason or the other. Video games are just a hobby.

With kids, I find I have 2 options - take that time you have, say after the kids are in bed, to game, and integrate the kids into some form of gaming with you. This could be playing Minecraft with them, or playing Gunslinger on the Atari 2600 or Ecco the Dolphin on your Genesis, etc. I have found trips to the arcade have been great fun (and gives the other parent some time for themselves, so its a win-win)

I largely try to get my kids involved by steering them toward Nintendo stuff. My youngest loves games and plays Splatoon a lot and has his own 2DS. As I mentioned on here before, he also plays a lot of Skylanders on Wii (the perfect "first system" from a modern perspective, with simple controls and cheap to replace if he breaks it, with tons and tons of kid-friendly games). My autistic son has never liked videogames of any kind much (and we really try to keep him from technology a lot, as a lot of autistic kids basically live on it). Lately though, after years of watching my wife play Animal Crossing, he has started wanting that, and spends time running the character around and just exploring the town. I have to admit to being very happy about this. If anyone wants their kids off a tablet, who doesn't like Nintendo themselves, I'm sorry to say, but I really think the best option for real games for kids is still Nintendo.

Like scotland, I take my kids to the arcade sometimes too when I' in the city. Mainly though that ends up being a lot of redemption machines (which I don't have a problem with). Our local gamestore has a Neo-Geo arcade machine though, and he cycles games, so they get exposure to some real arcade stuff here.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » July 27th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Same with the $$ part--with kids, mortgage, I just don't have tons of cash to sink into games/systems.

It very common for me to go for 1-2 weeks without playing ANYTHING, and then I'm using craving some Mario Kart or something easy to jump in and out of.

That another issue. I need a game that I can turn off at a moment's notice, not something with a checkpoint every 30 mins. "Daaaaaaadddddd!!!" Sure, I can play zelda 15 minutes at a time, but it takes me a while to remember what I was doing and what I'm trying to do next.

For this reason, Call of Duty games on the Wii (of all things) have proven a solid choice for me lately. They have short times to the checkpoints, there is no need to talk to anyone to squad up online (most people don't even have a mic, and I don't believe there are any clans), online matches are incredbly short, if kids walk in the game doesn't really look like murder, and the online community is so small and disconnected the rankings, perks, etc. don't really matter much to anyone except yourself. It is the easiest thing in the world to play for 10 minutes and then turn off. As for cost, they usually cost, like, $5 and the online is still free.

Return to “Video Games General”