Least Favorite Bosses?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Least Favorite Bosses?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 5th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Out of all the video games you've played, which boss battles were your LEAST favorite?

1. Ruin Sentinels, Dark Souls 2.
When I soloed the infamous Ornstein and Smough in the first Dark Souls game, I figured I was ready for anything they could throw at me. I was wrong. This fight starts off easy enough, if you know what you're doing, but as soon as you finish off the first one he gets replaced by two more, and these ones have shields. Their spears give them really long reach, they hit incredibly hard, and they're faster than you'd think. Lose sight of one while watching the other, and you can probably kiss life goodbye. Ornstein and Smough were tough, but it was fun because they balanced each other out. The Ruin Sentinels are just a pair (trio, if you do it wrong) of superpowerful gankers.

2. Maleficent Dragon, Kingdom Hearts 1.
I admit, this one was my fault. Back when I first discovered Kingdom Hearts I had no idea how RPGs worked. Somehow I still managed to get all the way to Maleficent's dragon form (a pretty late game enemy) severely underleveled, and she kicked my butt. Repeatedly. I actually quit the game for a while because of this fight, and it's a lucky thing I came back and gave it another go because I probably wouldn't have gotten into other, better RPGs without Kingdom Hearts.

3. Maester Seymour, Final Fantasy X.
Again, back then I didn't know how RPGs worked, so I honestly don't how well prepared I actually was for this fight. All I remember is that Seymour was a huge difficulty spike, and one that I could never get past. His first phase was pretty easy, but once he summons Anima it got really freaking difficult. Anima could just about one shot everybody in my party, so it became a balancing act of healing, attacking, and waiting until I could summon the new monster that was his weakness (which he would subsequently two-shot). Beat Anima, and the just keeps going, with Seymour taking (I think) three turns in a row. His spells could one shot my party the same way Anima did, and since he does one after the other I never even got the chance to attack him. I gave up on this game, and unlike Kingdom Hearts, I never went back.

4. Bisley Bakur, Tales of Xillia 2.
I know he's the final boss, and I know the final boss is supposed to be the toughest challenge you face the whole game, but this guy is freaking nuts. He's fast, and he's powerful. He can kill everybody in your party with a single hit, which might not have been such a problem if you didn't have to fight him after a string of other tough boss fights. That means that when you get to him, you're most likely going to be out of healing items. You can get your teammates to cast healing spells, but that's assuming he lets them live long enough to do it. There's no strategy here. Winning the fight is a matter of luck, in which you just have to hope the AI decides to come after you last so that you can charge up your ultimate attack, use it, and then run from him until you can do it again.

5. Barthandelus, Final Fantasy XIII.
Once you get to a certain part in Final Fantasy XIII, the game actually drops you in the endgame area. That means that literally every monster you see can pound you into the dust, and instead of fighting them you have to run from them. This means that for the majority of this part of the game, there's nothing for you to fight (at least not if you want to win), which means no leveling. Then you come to the boss fight, Barthandelus. He wasn't too hard the previous times you've fought him, but he's not pulling his punches this time. This fight is slow and monotonous, because you have to alternate between beating on him, and healing the beating he gives you. I kid you not, the fight would go on for over forty five minutes for me, and I'd only manage to cut down about a quarter of his health. And how does the game reward you? By instakilling your whole party. Yeah, the fight is on a timer (not that it tells you that) and if you take too long it just kills you. This is where I gave up on this game, because no matter what I did I couldn't figure out how to beat this #@$#@$$@$@$#%.

pacman000

Re: Least Favorite Bosses?

Postby pacman000 » August 5th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Ripper Roo in Crash 1.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 5th, 2017, 7:53 pm

I'm sure that I've fought worse, but the one that immediately comes to mind is that horrible pinball machine in Sonic CD. What a train wreck.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » August 6th, 2017, 10:18 am

I don't like bosses I couldn't beat...
...like the final boss in Rodea the Sky Soldier (Wii)
...like the final boss in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS, could only do it with computer help)
...like the final boss in Rocket Knight Adventures (Sega Genesis, which also takes forever)

..all are such great games, but now I'll always feel I haven't 'really' completed them. Yeah yeah.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » August 6th, 2017, 11:34 am

Bayou Billy's final boss battle takes forever and kills your thumb.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 6th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Any boss that has the "invulnerable for 30 seconds, open to attacks for 5 seconds" patterns. Ugh.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 12th, 2017, 10:48 am

The Grim Reaper on Castlevania, and the level that you have to overcome to get to him...

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » August 12th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:The Grim Reaper on Castlevania, and the level that you have to overcome to get to him...

He's nothing if you can reach him with the holy water. Otherwise he's almost impossible.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » August 12th, 2017, 1:13 pm

Well.. The Final boss of Banjo-Tooie, The Hag 1/Gruntilda is one of several reasons why I never finished the game due to the extremely unfair fight which is about 8 rounds worth of insta-kill lasers, toxic perfume, and spells. No fun but the rest of the bosses were too easy to me.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » August 13th, 2017, 3:12 pm

There has only been one Boss that caused me to rage and he caused me to break a controller lol Issac Frost from Fight Night Champion lol

Return to “Video Games General”