PAL version of Airlock (Atari 2600) dumped; has upgraded graphics -- plus a nasty bug

General and high profile video game topics.
goldenband

PAL version of Airlock (Atari 2600) dumped; has upgraded graphics -- plus a nasty bug

Postby goldenband » September 23rd, 2017, 4:03 pm

Data Age's Airlock is a fairly well-known game, and unlike most people (including the Critic) I've always kind of liked it in a "poor man's underwater Pitfall" kind of way. But I had no idea that the PAL version was significantly different, and apparently hadn't been dumped until now:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/103737 ... try3853487

This version of the game has upgraded graphics, but also incorporates a bug where, on the top floor, your player will always hit his head when jumping unless you jump on a specific animation frame. I was able to beat the game on the hardest settings, but until I figured out the trick to jumping on the top floor(s), I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why my jumps were failing.

I wonder if the PAL version was the original, and then when they discovered the bug, they simplified the graphics and pushed the NTSC version out the door? Or maybe they tried to spruce it up for the PAL market, but failed to playtest it enough. Either way, the PAL version was released by a different company (Gameworld).

pacman000

Re: PAL version of Airlock (Atari 2600) dumped; has upgraded graphics -- plus a nasty bug

Postby pacman000 » September 27th, 2017, 10:07 am

Gotta wonder...would the Critic be willing to download/review the PAL version of this game, to do a comparison? To see if the differences are enough to make the game a pleasant experience?

If not, would you be willing to review both versions, goldenband?

Return to “Video Games General”