Play as many games as you can or play less games to death ?

General and high profile video game topics.
Retrology

Re: Play as many games as you can or play less games to death ?

Postby Retrology » October 12th, 2017, 5:38 pm

I think for the most part it depends on the scope of the game. If it's a game small enough for you to explore every nook and cranny, then yeah, I'd play it to death. Examples include Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and Quake II.

However, while games like Skyrim are good, it may be really overwhelming to find everything, and this is my pre concern with Mario Odyssey. Accessible RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Fire Emblem Awakening are clearly an exception, but really as I get older I find myself attached to games small enough to explore everything but big enough to keep going.

That's my two cents.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 12th, 2017, 6:22 pm

JWK wrote:We are all on this planet for a finite amount of time. There's no use wasting your time on something you don't love.

Completely agree. As you get older, more things get thrown on your plate. You get a full-time job, get married, your parents get old and need more care. Now my wife is six weeks pregnant. I try and play when I can, but I find that I don't have the time that I used to have. So when I do play, it has to be a game that I really enjoy, since I only have so much free time.

It really is true; when you're young, you have a lot of energy, and a good amount of time, but not much money. When you're middle-aged, you have more money, enough energy, but hardly any time. When you're old, you have money and time, but not a lot of energy. There really is no perfectly happy and content time in your life!

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » October 12th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Herschie wrote:
It really is true; when you're young, you have a lot of energy, and a good amount of time, but not much money.

This is the one part of this I always disagree with. I had more expendable money from about 19 - 25 than I will ever have again. Even on student loans, once residence and a meal plan were covered, and some used books bought, the remainder could just be spent on beer and cheeseburgers. My first student job out of residence paid well enough, and all I needed to do was cover 1/6th of a rent, heat, and internet bill and spend all the rest on Mr. Noodles, whiskey and video games. Now I make way more money, but the kitchen renovation, insurances, hockey, Scouts, heat, light, TV, piano lessons, internet, school trips, family vacations, etc. don't pay for themselves, and I don't split them 6 ways. I could go buy a PS4 right now no problem, but it's more pressing to buy my kid hockey gear or pay for swimming lessons and gym fees with that money.

Believe me, whatever money you were going to ever spend frivolously, you were better off to have done it before. :)

Voor

Postby Voor » October 12th, 2017, 9:27 pm

Boom, truth. In college, I made $5/hour, but somehow, always had enough money for fun stuff. It helped that I wasn't a big spender, but I always had at least $500 in fun money at any moment. My lifestyle was just supremely cheap I guess.

Theses days, any fun money has to be a worthwhile investment--not just for me, but for the whole family. Which is why I never consider buying a new system for $500 (console, game, 2nd controller, etc), knowing that I'm the only one on the house that cares about video games. Decisions are often like: new game or new weed eater? Caring for other humans is expensive, dude.

It's fine though. I enjoy retro stuff way more anyway, which is a cheaper route for me.....now if I can just find a SNES classic, I'll be set for life. Lol.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » October 15th, 2017, 6:31 am

As I mentioned in a thread in "Now Playing," I recently picked up an NHL game that's out of date and went and downloaded a save file that someone had updated the rosters in, including adding the new Vegas expansion team, complete with current roster. I started to look around, and if you want to see how to play one game to death, check out Operation Sports. Especially check out Madden. Just look at which games these guys are still releasing updated rosters for:
https://forums.operationsports.com/foru ... n-rosters/

There are updated rosters there for PS2 for goodness sake! Some of these people are playing updated seasons on systems they have owned for 17 years!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 15th, 2017, 3:04 pm

You all have a good point. When I was living with my parents, being broke wasn't such a big deal. I still could eat, I still had a roof over my head. It's a little different when you're older and not only have to support yourself, but you're also responsible for supporting your family as well. Might make more money now, but I don't have as much disposable income.

Atarifever wrote:There are updated rosters there for PS2 for goodness sake! Some of these people are playing updated seasons on systems they have owned for 17 years!

These are great. They also make them for ESPN NFL 2K5.

Return to “Video Games General”