Play as many games as you can or play less games to death ?

General and high profile video game topics.
Sut

Play as many games as you can or play less games to death ?

Postby Sut » October 9th, 2017, 9:50 am

This didn’t start until the HD era when I got my PS3 and subsequently a PS4.
Over the last couple of years I’ve not played many games numbers wise on these modern consoles.

I liked to fully enjoy and see all that these games offer and have generally also played for trophies. But only having around an hours game time a night it takes me around a year to beat a couple of games in this fashion.

Now in hindsight with the ending of the PS3 and the PS4 in mid cycle. I can see a number of great games I’ve missed out on.

I do enjoy beating games, but now I’m thinking why not just beat the game and move on to the next. This is what I used to do previous to the HD era.

Rather than spending months grinding out trophies I could be sampling another game.

What’s your personal opinion ?

Play and beat as many games as possible or play less games but completely conquer them trophies and all ?

Edit: Typos
Last edited by Sut on October 9th, 2017, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Play as many games as you can or play less games to death ?

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 9th, 2017, 10:46 am

This is a good topic, and a problem I run into all the time. Let's face it, modern games are pretty cheap and have almost endless replay value.

Personally I go with my gut. If I'm having a good time with a game I'll continue to the end. However, more times than not my interest wanes, and I feel like I've experienced most of what the game had to offer. Especially if you have a pile of other games you want to play, it's time to move on. Time is limited.

I've never been interested in achievements or trophies.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 9th, 2017, 4:50 pm

Neither. Play fewer games to death. :P

Seriously, though, a good game will give you what you put into it. I'm not going to move on from a game that I'm really into because there's some quota of how many games I need to have tried; I'm going to give it its due and enjoy it to the fullest, and I'll probably come back to it down the line.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 9th, 2017, 11:24 pm

Just depends on the game. I still play old Nintendo franchise games, but once I beat Tomb Raider and Battlefield 1, I was pretty much done with them.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » October 10th, 2017, 1:24 pm

I tend to beat 'em to death. To me, the beauty of all the systems past Colecovision was the technology was there to create a game you could get a lot of mileage out of. I remember going through new Atari 2600 carts like water when I was a kid because the replay value wasn't there.

When I was in college and didn't have a lot of disposable income, it was nice to buy a $25-$40 game knowing I could be entertained by that 1 title for 4-6 months.

I don't own a PS4, but if I did.. I have a feeling I'd be pouring all of my time in Rocket League and not needing to purchase a bunch of other titles.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » October 10th, 2017, 3:56 pm

I'm opting to play a lot of 7800 games (including a ton of new homebrews). I play them to death when they're in the High Score Club at Atariage, but otherwise they're pick up and play.

On "modern systems," the only ones I have left are the PS3 and Wii, and all I ever play on them (and the thing I now play most in the entire world) is the COD series. I am playing COD:MW Reflex Edition (Wii), and COD Black Ops 3 (PS3) just a ton. Fantastic "never get old" games. I will play them to death.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 10th, 2017, 4:04 pm

LuckyWDFN wrote:and didn't have a lot of disposable income, it was nice to buy a $25-$40 game knowing I could be entertained by that 1 title for 4-6 months

Yes once I moved from the Spectrum and ST, which thanks to the rampant piracy on those systems never left me short of games to play. Onto consoles I like you likes the fact although the game investment was bigger I could get months out of the games.

However now with the re-sale market selling PS3 and Wii games for next to nothing, Everdrives and emulation there really is no need to play them to death anymore as another experience is awaiting you.

Or is this behaviour ingrained due to the then large investment on games in our youth.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » October 10th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Sut wrote:Yes once I moved from the Spectrum and ST, which thanks to the rampant piracy on those systems never left me short of games to play. Onto consoles I like you likes the fact although the game investment was bigger I could get months out of the games.

However now with the re-sale market selling PS3 and Wii games for next to nothing, Everdrives and emulation there really is no need to play them to death anymore as another experience is awaiting you.

Or is this behaviour ingrained due to the then large investment on games in our youth.

Exactly.. I can't figure out if my behavior is because I sometimes get OCD about completing games or playing franchise modes for decades plus in sports games, OR if it's just because I'm a cheapskate

Voor

Postby Voor » October 11th, 2017, 7:25 pm

This is exactly why I love Speedrunning. You can play the same game 100 times and it's always interesting.

JWK

Postby JWK » October 12th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Like many gamers (and specifically game *collectors*) I have OCD when it comes to gaming. The same part of my brain that convinced me that not only did I have to collect all the PS1 RPGs, but they had to be BLACK LABEL with the manual and in new cases is the part of brain that runs wild when I play a game. Walking by a treasure chest? Of course I have to get it! But wait, I'm playing Assassin's Creed and there are treasure chests, feathers and collectibles EVERYWHERE... Yep, still have to get them. All. It's what has made me play games to completion whether I like them or not.

I'm happy to say I've changed a bit with my gaming habits. I get collectibles when I want to. I don't chase trophies anymore... for the most part. And, most importantly for my backlog, if I'm tired of a game, too bored to see what happens next, frustrated or just don't like a game, I'm done. I put it back on the shelf and I've been able to successfully quiet that little voice that says, "You didn't get the full value out of that game. You need to finish it!" Nope, I'm good. We are all on this planet for a finite amount of time. There's no use wasting your time on something you don't love.

Return to “Video Games General”