End of Xbox?

General and high profile video game topics.
Robotrek

Re: End of Xbox?

Postby Robotrek » October 15th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Oh how I wish Vexer was here to try and defend it.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » October 15th, 2017, 3:48 pm

TheBlondeGamePunk3 wrote:I am not a fanboy nor do I believe consoles are superior but I CAN say that I do believe.. That Microsoft's heart isn't in it anymore and that they should just concentrate on making more Windows for PC's. 8-) 8-)

I want to second this... get rid of Cortana, stop trying to copy Apple, and make a modern windows 98/XP/7 style normal OS that works exceptionally well.

Microsoft has been focusing on the wrong things as a company lately. They keep copying companies, whether it is Google with Bing or Apple with windows 8 and 10. They need to return to the basics and make a genuinely good product. Whether it is a system, and OS, or something else, they definitely need to slow down and think about what they're actually doing.

Say what you will about Nintendo's various missteps, which have been many, they at least try to innovate.

/Of course, my prediction is the same as my earlier comment. Microsoft will just release another X-box variant whenever the next generation of playstation is available and it will either be a little better than Sony's system or a little worse. Then, some time after, Nintendo will release another attempted innovative system which will either perform extremely well or more or less bomb.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 15th, 2017, 3:58 pm

I do not see Microsoft pulling the plug on console development, the Xbox One X indicates there is gas left in the tank. While I am quite happy to see many 3rd party titles and Microsoft exclusives ending up on the PC, those of us that also game on the PC might reconsider committing to a Microsoft console in future. On the flip side, the Xbox One X, checking specs against a potential PC build matching it, is very competitively priced. To a new would be PC builder wanting to experience fluid 4K gaming, I could recommend staying ones hand for a couple of years. Unless you already have the gaming PC, there might not be a tremendous incentive to invest in one just yet. Microsoft could carve out and dominate this niche corner - 4K gaming is not mainstream and it is unlikely to be the norm for several years yet. Add in backwards compatibility, I have hope for the new Xbox. However, I do believe Microsoft are lacking killer exclusive titles but that is a situation that can be remedied.

I will add that making consoles PC like, requiring patches, updates, installation and so on is an inconvenience that should never have been introduced to console gaming. Console gaming by it's nature should be plug and play. It should be the PC crowd that have to update their DLL's, add patches to run game on their operating system, and then fiddle around with mods, settings and so on. This should not be a factor with consoles.

GTS

Postby GTS » October 15th, 2017, 8:38 pm

One game can change it all. The Xbox One is getting a huge exclusive called Player Unknown Battlegrounds. For those who don't know, it has sold 13 million copies on PC, but has not come to consoles yet. Later this year it'll launch as an Xbox exclusive, and Microsoft is having talks with the publisher to widen the exclusion period, possibly all the way into 2018. If they bundle the game with the Xbox One X, it should be a system seller.

That being said, if you have an update, just run it. I own and play Rainbow Six Siege on the PS4, and they have slowly overhauled the game over two years with updates. Now the online matches are very well balanced and play smoothly. I'm glad there are people still working on the game and whenever I see an update, I know they have made it better.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » October 15th, 2017, 9:10 pm

GTS wrote:One game can change it all. The Xbox One is getting a huge exclusive called Player Unknown Battlegrounds. For those who don't know, it has sold 13 million copies on PC, but has not come to consoles yet. Later this year it'll launch as an Xbox exclusive, and Microsoft is having talks with the publisher to widen the exclusion period, possibly all the way into 2018. If they bundle the game with the Xbox One X, it should be a system seller.

That was the logic of Titanfall. That was at least a "Non-PC exclusive to the Xbox brand." This is a "non-PC, pre-existing game with 13 million current owners exclusive during an unclear sales window" exclusive. That isn't likely to move the console sale needle even one unit in my opinion. It'll sell well... to pre-existing Xbox One owners.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 15th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Happy to say that all I play these days is Halo Master Chief Collection. It is only available for xbox 1. Sure there are updates but I have this thing called broadband. Most updates are very quick. I have no complaints about the system at all. The always online was a fiasco which cost xbone dear. Not everyone wants a console which is that way inclined. I did think that it was a step to far for the console. When you are in the sticks it must be a pain in the rear. The update situation reminds me so much of the ps3. That was why the 360 was always better than the ps3. Then they decided to go back to that update method? Bizarre.

I played the wii u in the shop Just to see what it was like. I was like gimmick screen that is insulting to gamers. First impressions. He was going to see it too me but after playing it I was really underwhelmed. It felt like they wanted to be better than ps3 and failed, miserably. Though there are some good games on it.

I have only had a brief go at ps4 but hated the controllers so that was that. One of my pals has just got one so I might get to have a play with it.

The switch is selling well. So far nothing on it that interests me.

I only really want to play Elex and that is on xbox so I am lucky. oh it is an rpg.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » October 15th, 2017, 11:10 pm

True, The Xbox One X is being billed as the "Ultimate Console" of all time by some of my friends but I just don't see it.. It looks like a repainted 360 but grown out by five times, Hell they think that it could compete with Alienware PC's.. Hahahahah.. Be real I'd never expect a console to do THAT well (at lease not yet..in terms of "technology")

Generally I don't see Microsoft staying in the running within a few years as many have decried several key games that the system was supposed to be popular on day one like the Halo Master Chief Collection, I saw that coming from a mile away how much people ripped into it.. Again, I don't believe in video game rivalry but I DO believe that Microsoft, like Sony is becoming reckless in terms of what they think the players "want" :evil:

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » October 15th, 2017, 11:27 pm

I just can't seem to muster up any reason to own an Xbox One. Trust me, I've been trying to come up with one. For me it comes down to the exclusives and there really aren't enough physically released exclusives to care about. I would like to try the weird Sunset Overdrive, or the beautiful looking Ori..that Rare Replay Collection and Killer Instinct are must haves too! There isn't much more than that and I'm not dropping $200+ just to play those few games.

It's a bummer because the original Xbox and the 360 have amazing libraries jam packed with hidden gems and excellent exclusive titles. It doesn't help matters that both Sony and Nintendo have put out there best consoles in YEARS this generation. I completely adore my PS4 and Switch and for the time being they provide more than enough electronic entertainment for me. Here's to hoping that Microsoft turns it around and gets their heads out of their bum!

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » October 16th, 2017, 9:59 am

A lot of the problems complained about by the Video Game Critic were totally foreseeable. Heck, I think the Critic even pointed out a problem with the original Xbox when it was released -- the ability to update games online thanks to a fast internet connection and a hard drive means gaming on a console would become as inconvenient as gaming on a computer.

Back when the Xbox was released, one of the primary problems with computer gaming was that developers were in the habit of pushing games out in a hurry and then patching the heck out of them later. That meant the notion one could simply by a computer game, pop it in and play it was ridiculous -- you had to install a bunch of updates first and that could get annoying (particularly back in the dialup days).

One of the main advantages to console gaming was that the "install updates" annoyance could be bypassed. When Microsoft took that convenience away, they also took away a great reason to own consoles. Granted, that problem was comparatively minor on the Xbox and the Xbox 360, but it has evidently gotten worse with the Xbox One.

Call me nuts, but I miss the days of cartridges and extensive play testing -- you got a game home, slapped it in the old SNES (or whatever) and the blasted thing just worked.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 16th, 2017, 6:10 pm

TheBlondeGamePunk3 wrote:True, The Xbox One X is being billed as the "Ultimate Console" of all time by some of my friends but I just don't see it.. It looks like a repainted 360 but grown out by five times, Hell they think that it could compete with Alienware PC's.. Hahahahah.. Be real I'd never expect a console to do THAT well (at lease not yet..in terms of "technology")

Generally I don't see Microsoft staying in the running within a few years as many have decried several key games that the system was supposed to be popular on day one like the Halo Master Chief Collection, I saw that coming from a mile away how much people ripped into it.. Again, I don't believe in video game rivalry but I DO believe that Microsoft, like Sony is becoming reckless in terms of what they think the players "want" :evil:

24 of my friends have played MCC.
4 have played Destiny 2. Now that could because they played the first one. Which was disappointing.
It was too ambitious a release. It was put out to quickly but now it works perfectly. MCC that is.

Return to “Video Games General”