Why do people buy neo geo games?

General and high profile video game topics.
sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » April 4th, 2005, 2:48 pm

Its a great story and you had me up to the gamer remark what does spending vasts amount of money have anything to do with being a gamer?  (in my opnion the terms gamer,hard core and fan boy should all be zapped off the face of earth.)

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » April 4th, 2005, 4:07 pm

It didn't take that long. A Saturn with a ram cart could do everything the Neo-Geo could. Also, it's unfair to compare the Neo-Geo with other home systems, because even the home version of the Neo-Geo was an arcade machine.

If you compare the Neo-Geo to other arcade machines, it was actually out of date within a year or two.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 4th, 2005, 4:40 pm

Also, in general, SNK seemed like a "true gamers company". They had alot of soul&character in their games, they seemed to really care about the hardcore gamer. I feel this way about Sega too, but to lesser extent.

Microsoft, and most especaily Sony, seem like soul-less meat markets churning overly mainstream games for profit.

It's sad that in gaming history, it's the soul-less mainstream companies that prosper, while honest companies like SNK went under.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » April 4th, 2005, 10:51 pm

There is a reason snk went bankrupt you know complete lack of inovation in there games.  Almost every game of theres has 3 or 4 sequels all they managed to do was slowly kill franchises.  And really almost nothing changes from year to year in kof.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » April 5th, 2005, 9:45 am

[QUOTE=mappy mouse pd]It didn't take that long. A Saturn with a ram cart could do everything the Neo-Geo could. Also, it's unfair to compare the Neo-Geo with other home systems, because even the home version of the Neo-Geo was an arcade machine.

If you compare the Neo-Geo to other arcade machines, it was actually out of date within a year or two. [/QUOTE]

the cost to import a Saturn RAM cart and games (in the day) was nearly as expensive as buying Neo Geo carts, and still werent 100 percent perfect ports. the Neo was a system for people that wanted REAL arcade hardware. The Neo Geo CD was an attempt to make cheaper versions of the games available, but it never really took off (although the clicky control d-pad is outstanding for fighting games)

Space Guppy

Postby Space Guppy » April 5th, 2005, 11:51 am

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

Its a great story and you had me up to the gamer remark what does spending vasts amount of money have anything to do with being a gamer?  (in my opnion the terms gamer,hard core and fan boy should all be zapped off the face of earth.)

[/QUOTE]

I dunno, you spent mad cash on a Nintendo DS and a PSP didn't you?  That's 400 bucks right there, not counting games.  Maybe you're more hard core than you thought?

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » April 5th, 2005, 2:52 pm

Well i didnt buy a psp but what im saying is i thought how "hard core" you are is derived from how good you are at the games?

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 6th, 2005, 12:28 am

To me, "hardcore" means that you collect, play, and enjoy modern games just as much as ancient games. That pretty much covers us all here, we play everything from Xbox to Colecovision.

I feel that people whom either only play old systems or only play current systems aren't in the category of a "true gamer".

A true gamer, a hardcore gamer, will tell you that a good game is a good game. Wheither it came out in 2005 or 1985 is irrevelent.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » April 6th, 2005, 3:48 pm

Again your taste dont make you a "hardcore" gamer my freind dosent like old games.  He plays only new ones but he very good with them and knows a lot about them.  Being "hardcore" has everything to do with knowing about what intrest you and nothing to do with how much you spend or the era of the games you play.

Space Guppy

Postby Space Guppy » April 6th, 2005, 5:17 pm

hard core (adj)

having an intense (often excessive) interest in or enthusiasm for some particular activity, pastime or hobby
eg: I can't believe he went to a strip club at 12:30 in the afternoon. That's pretty hard core.

This comes from the Urban Dictionary online.  Thus we can assume someone who is "hardcore" about videogames merely spends loads of time playing them or considerable time pondering them, at least.   I think everyone in the forum, hence, qualifies.

Return to “Video Games General”