What Console to Buy This Holiday?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

What Console to Buy This Holiday?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 2nd, 2017, 8:14 am

In previous years I've been asked to put together a "Holiday Buying Guide" to help people decide what console to buy. Not sure I'll have time to put that together (it's getting late already) so I figured I'd open it up for discussion. How would you characterize the different offerings and which would you recommend?

DrLitch

Re: What Console to Buy This Holiday?

Postby DrLitch » November 2nd, 2017, 2:20 pm

Single Console owner:
Recommend PS4. Lots of choices, base console competitively priced. PS4 over Xbox considering the exclusives although both largely get the same 3rd party content. Lots of outstanding games due in 2018. With retro gaming, Xbox One has a comprehensive list of backwards compatible titles with XB360 and the list is growing. A factor worth considering. PS4 Pro or Xbox One X might be worth a look over base console if one has a 4K TV. For my money, a first time console owner, purchasing this holiday, the PS4 would be a good choice. Do not recommend a Switch as the primary gaming platform since you will miss out on a lot of titles. A PC gamer gets most of the 3rd party titles, in this case, a Switch may offer something new over PS4/Xbox One. Emulation scene may put a downer on this....

Second Console owner:
Nintendo Switch a no brainer here. Do not believe you gain much owning both an Xbox and PS4. Library a bit thin on the Switch but console looks as though will get better 3rd party support than WiiU (although debatable if one would choose a Switch version over, say, PS4). First party titles are some of the best of this generation and more excellent content is coming. The Switch is unique in that it is a truly mobile platform that doubles up as a console. Once virtual console is established there may be a larger market for the casual gaming scene, particularly if they front up Wii content in 1K that is adapted to the new controllers. Who knows where the Switch goes, it is a console to watch if one does not feel ready or inclined to spend $350 on it.

People like me that own the Switch and PS4/XB:
If you can, try get a SNES classic, if you can........................... :cry:
or upgrade current console equipment to newer PS4 Pro or XB1X
or buy a new GPU for PC and give 4K gaming a shot
or buy a gaming laptop for no other reason than having one....

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 2nd, 2017, 7:27 pm

I agree 100% with DrLitch; well said. PS4 as your main console, unless there are XB1 exclusives that you prefer way more than the PS4's library. After that, Switch as the second console.

For cheaper gifts, obviously the SNES Classic is a great choice, if you can snag one. The Retron 5 is another good option. Even for someone who has all the systems in their bedroom or gameroom, I see the Retron 5 as a great "consolidated console" so that you can retro game in the living room without a bunch of consoles and wires mucking up the place.. Hoping to get one myself this year.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » November 3rd, 2017, 11:46 pm

I will third that. I have a PS4 to keep my FPS itch scratched, and between Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and a few downloads, the Switch has proved to make a LOT of play time out of only a few titles. The switch might have a slim library right now, but each game has been IMMENSELY playable, with tons of replay or extended play potential. More than I can say for a larger majority of my PS4 titles. AND the portability has been awesome on family trips.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 4th, 2017, 3:42 am

Will third that. PS4 has great exclusives, receives the best third party titles and (not often praised on this site) but a very good digital library of indie games and retro games with the arcade archive series and PS classics.
However the Switch offers something unique and a game library that stands apart from the PS4 and Xbone.

Personally if I could only have one it would be the PS4, however I would love a Switch to compliment it.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 4th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Ya I agree I bought an Xbox One in order to play Gears 4. Big disappointment. I don't think there is a reason to own both a PS4 and an Xbox One (coming from a HUGE 360 fan here!). I have my eye on the Switch although the library is not all that impressive save for Mario (IMHO). However I have heard good things about some of their download only titles such as Golf Story.

I bought a SNES classic and I really enjoy it. I actually bought it off Ebay for $150 and still think its s worth it to me.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » November 8th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Personally, I’ve been thinking of buying myself a PS3, mostly to play Gran Turismo 5 & 6. Despite growing up with PS1 and PS2, I ended up getting an Xbox 360 instead of sticking with familiar territory. I did get a PS4 two years ago, but I still wanna see what I missed with it’s predecessor. Plus, the first Gran Turismo (PS1) was the first video game I ever played, so the franchise has a place in my heart because of it. So I plan to find 5 & 6 as soon as I get a PS3, and maybe find a copy of the Twisted Metal reboot while I’m at it. I also look forward to finding a copy of Gran Turismo Sport (PS4) - as well as Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - but I have to find an external hard drive for my PS4 before I can get any more games for it.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 9th, 2017, 1:31 am

astrodomekid wrote:Personally, I’ve been thinking of buying myself a PS3, mostly to play Gran Turismo 5 & 6. Despite growing up with PS1 and PS2, I ended up getting an Xbox 360 instead of sticking with familiar territory. I did get a PS4 two years ago, but I still wanna see what I missed with it’s predecessor. Plus, the first Gran Turismo (PS1) was the first video game I ever played, so the franchise has a place in my heart because of it. So I plan to find 5 & 6 as soon as I get a PS3, and maybe find a copy of the Twisted Metal reboot while I’m at it. I also look forward to finding a copy of Gran Turismo Sport (PS4) - as well as Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy - but I have to find an external hard drive for my PS4 before I can get any more games for it.

If you intend to only play a handful of titles, check out PS Now to see if you cannot already stream to your PS4. I do not recollect seeing GT5 or 6 on there but it has been over a year since I last browsed the content and things may have changed since. But a used PS3 is not expensive if you have the room for it...

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » November 16th, 2017, 3:23 am

I'm getting a Switch. I already have one in layaway.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » November 16th, 2017, 3:12 pm

No consoles but I did buy myself a windows tablet.

Return to “Video Games General”