Best time of year for gaming?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Best time of year for gaming?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 10th, 2017, 6:21 pm

As the cold air has moved in it occurred to me that we are approaching the best time of year for gaming.

1. Harsh weather and less hours of light means more time spent indoors. It's more comfortable to curl up with a game when it's cold out.
2. Many of the big-name titles are released around the holidays.
3. A lot of people exchange games as gifts, or purchase new consoles this time of year.
4. Holidays mean more time off to play games.

Thoughts?

DrLitch

Re: Best time of year for gaming?

Postby DrLitch » November 11th, 2017, 2:00 am

Best time of year for watching films as well.
We have Star Wars 8 in theaters 6 weeks.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » November 13th, 2017, 10:13 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:As the cold air has moved in it occurred to me that we are approaching the best time of year for gaming.

1. Harsh weather and less hours of light means more time spent indoors. It's more comfortable to curl up with a game when it's cold out.
2. Many of the big-name titles are released around the holidays.
3. A lot of people exchange games as gifts, or purchase new consoles this time of year.
4. Holidays mean more time off to play games.

Thoughts?

Absolutely! I don't play many video games during the summer months. I would prefer to be sitting on my back deck during the summer evenings. However, a warm rainy night is a good time for gaming.

But yes, I much prefer gaming during the Fall and Winter.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » November 13th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Agree with everything. I don't feel obligated to go anywhere, and I can sit there in peace and play MLB The Show.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » November 15th, 2017, 6:19 pm

In general, the best time to game is during winter. Lower prices, receiving games as gifts, and more play time due to more time indoors. However, if we're going purely by new releases, 2017 has been an interesting year. The early part of the year gave us games like Breath Of The Wild, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, and Yakuza 0. The fall season gave us games like Super Mario Odyssey, Metroid: Samus Returns, Cuphead, Star Fox 2, and A Hat In Time. The holiday release season seems weak in comparison, if you ask me.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » November 20th, 2017, 7:53 pm

Winter - hands down.. Especially if you live in northern climates. Too cold outside, no yardwork to do, even the busiest of homeowners with demanding jobs and families can find time. I'm thinking about re-visiting Vice City and San Andreas this winter

Return to “Video Games General”