A game I can "sink my teeth into"

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

A game I can "sink my teeth into"

Postby CharlieR » November 28th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Looking for a game I can “sink my teeth into.” What I mean by that is a game I can really enjoy playing for an extended period of time. Whenever I get together with my cousin, he is always playing a game on his 3ds or vita. Most of the time, it’s a heavily-involved game like Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, or Shin Megami Tensei. Those games really aren’t my playstyle, and I am more of a casual gamer. I would like to find a game like that though, preferably on a handheld, but it doesn’t really matter.

There are games I play a lot, but aren’t necessarily designed to be played for hours, if that makes sense. Two examples of games I’ve just so happened to play for hours but aren’t really designed for that are any of the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater/Underground games and Super Mario 3d World.

Although, there are two examples I can think of, one of which is a bit of an outlier, as it’s more of a hardcore game, and that’s Uncharted. I played the first three for hours at a time. The other series of games, which are more of what I’m getting at here, are the Ratchet and clank games. Specifically, Up Your Arsenal. That was like the perfect game for me. I should mention that while I don’t necessarily like RPG’s I like RPG elements a lot. I like upgrading weapons and gaining experience points. Up Your arsenal is great with that, and I’m currently playing through the franchise mode in NHL hitz 20-03, which has you gaining experience points for your team every few wins.

So, a game with some depth to it, that will keep a casual gamer interested. I'm thinking maybe something in the Grand Theft Auto series? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Voor

Re: A game I can "sink my teeth into"

Postby Voor » November 28th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Maybe the metal gear solid series? Assasians Creed? Resident evil?

Actually, I’d play the “best” game from each of these and see which one you latch on to.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » November 28th, 2017, 7:32 pm

The Super Smash Bros. games are loaded with content and will keep you awake for hours unlocking new things. Also, there is no finer multiplayer series in existence. Play with a friend or relative, and you'll find it hard to put down.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 28th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Sir, have you heard the gospel of Dark Souls?

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » November 29th, 2017, 8:29 am

- super smash bros. is one I get a lot of gameplay. Also, Kirby air ride, made by the same developer, I got a lot out of that as well. The thing I like is that these games both have checklists to keep me playing.

-Resident Evil 4 is another one of those "hardcore" type games that are so popular and appeal to casual gamers alike. I've beaten it multiple times. Never gotten into the rest of the series, but the gameplay seems to be really different in the others.

Think I might pick up Grand theft auto 4. It's cheap and seems like a game I might like.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » November 29th, 2017, 10:42 am

Gentlegamer wrote:Sir, have you heard the gospel of Dark Souls?

This.

I have heard people complain about the difficulty of this series, but I've never really understood it. It is definitely challenging, but it isn't impossible, not by any stretch! I'm not an expert-level gamer, and I have beaten Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 3, and Bloodborne numerous times. I'll tell you, there is no rewarding experience greater than taking down a boss in one of these games!

I honestly look at the series as the dark, challenging underbelly of the Zelda franchise.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 29th, 2017, 1:29 pm

At first, I thought this topic was going to be about the sadly under-represented genre of Shark video games. Maybe another time. As for this topic, there's some good suggestions here, but I'll add some as well:

Grand Theft Auto: Judging from your post (correct me if I'm wrong), you've never played a GTA game before. If that's the case, and you're leaning toward it, then I say definitely start there. IMO, Grand Theft Auto III on the PS2 was the most important game released since Super Mario Bros. on the NES, so I feel like every gamer should try the series. It changed gaming and has influenced hundreds of games since then. GTA III is a bit outdated now, so trying a newer one is a good bet. GTA IV is a good start (it got excellent reviews), though I wasn't a fan of the main character and gave up on that one. Haven't tried GTA V yet, but it also got great reviews. My personal favorite was GTA Vice City on PS2, but I'd recommend going with a newer version instead (GTA IV or V). You can kill hours just messing around in those games, let alone playing missions.

Other recent classics: To me, the best games of last generation were Bioshock and Last of Us. I prefer Bioshock, but Last of Us is generally a safer bet between the two, especially if you liked the Uncharted series. Bioshock also has some minor RPG elements that you might like. Both Bioshock and Last of Us are on 360 and PS3, and have remastered versions that were released on current gen consoles.

Metal Gear Solid: Voor mentioned the Metal Gear Solid series, which is my favorite game series. But they are so heavy on story that I think it's tough to just jump right into that one... However, if you're ever up for some retro gaming, try the first Metal Gear Solid for PS1. I played Metal Gear Solid a couple years ago and feel that it holds up better than any game of the PS1/N64 era. Still as good today as it was back then.

Action RPGs: Seems like you enjoy action elements and RPG elements in your games, so the Mass Effect and Borderland series might each be worth a look. Mass Effect 2 is the peak of that series, while I think Borderlands 2 is generally considered the best there. I haven't played either of those games, so can't weigh in personally.

Portables: You mentioned wanting something to play on handheld systems. Based on what you've stated, I'd highly recommend trying the Castlevania series, which is heavy on action, with RPG elements included. Try Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA) or Dawn of Sorrow (DS). If you want to game like your cousin and try an even deeper experience, I highly recommend Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions for the PSP, which is a great tactical RPG and is an updated version of the PS1 classic. It's in my Top 3 all-time favorite games.

With all these, I've tried to mention top-tier games that sounded within your preferences. I think any of them would be a good bet.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » November 29th, 2017, 4:39 pm

^^ Thanks. Some of those seem like games I would enjoy. I haven't played a Grand Theft Auto game, but have played Simpsons: Hit and run, which I hear is like GTA with Simpsons Characters.

The Last Of Us I always felt was a game I needed to check out. It looks a lot like the uncharted games. Might like Bioshock or Mass Effect.

I did receive the Ultimate Action Pack for ps3 as a gift. It has Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, and Just cause 2. Do those games fit what I am looking for?

Sut

Postby Sut » November 29th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Either GTA V or MGSV.

MGSV - You can sink your teeth into the main campaign but the game is also designed to revisit ‘episodes’ and complete secondary objectives. It’s not as Story heavy as previous entries but dang if it’s my new favourite.

GTA V - I see you’ve mentioned GTA IV but I much prefer GTA V. The characters are more compelling than 4 and I also happen to think Trevor is one of the greatest game characters ever.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 30th, 2017, 12:48 am

CharlieR wrote:^^ Thanks. Some of those seem like games I would enjoy. I haven't played a Grand Theft Auto game, but have played Simpsons: Hit and run, which I hear is like GTA with Simpsons Characters.

I haven't played Simpsons: Hit and Run, but I have heard the same comparisons about the game. The difference is that Hit and Run was considered a good/decent game when it came out, whereas GTA III thru V were considered elite, game-of-the-year candidates every time they came out. So playing GTA IV or V should be a big step up from Hit and Run.

Btw, also worth checking out is Red Dead Redemption, another excellent last generation game from the same people that make GTA.

CharlieR wrote:The Last Of Us I always felt was a game I needed to check out. It looks a lot like the uncharted games.

Yes, it's made by the same company that does Uncharted, so it shares a lot of similarities. However, Last of Us is an even better game than the Uncharted games, especially because of the excellent story and connection with the characters. I'd bet you'll like it more than Uncharted. (And that's saying a lot, because I think the Uncharted games are excellent too.) Last of Us is one of those video games that I feel like is almost impossible for any gamer to dislike.

CharlieR wrote:I did receive the Ultimate Action Pack for ps3 as a gift. It has Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, and Just cause 2. Do those games fit what I am looking for?

I haven't played any of those, so I'm not quite sure. But they all received good review scores--each of them has aggregate review scores on Metacritic and GameRankings in the mid-80s (with Tomb Raider scoring highest of the three), so they should be fun games. However, I have a philosophy when it comes to games.... Life is busy and games are time consuming; so we simply don't have time for B-level games unless we've experienced all the A-level games first. That's a big generalization of course, and B and C level games have their time and place, but my point is that there are a ton of all-time classics that you haven't experienced yet, so I'd recommend trying some of those first.

Return to “Video Games General”