How to improve the Switch?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

How to improve the Switch?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2017, 8:02 pm

I stumbled upon this article and I need to take exception to most of its points:

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/11/19/ ... ird-party/

The Switch is destroying its competition largely because it bucks the trends and is different. Yet the author seems to recommend Nintendo do what all the less successful consoles are.

1. More storage. No. The more storage you give developers, the bigger the games get. Games don't need to be huge to be good. Don't put the onus on the gamers to purchase additional storage.

2. Online network. Obviously there needs to be some degree of online support, but don't see why Nintendo needs to go heavy here. Especially since it's a portable system.

3. Third party support. I don't think people are interesting in scaled-down versions of 5 year old games. Now, if they can create original titles that cater to the system's strengths, that's a different story.

4. Netflix. I have about a half dozen devices that provide Netflix access. Don't need it on my Switch.

5. "More love for the classics" Now THIS we can agree on. Nintendo - don't "pull a Sega" and let your back catalog rot!

Comments?

ptdebate

Re: How to improve the Switch?

Postby ptdebate » November 28th, 2017, 8:12 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I stumbled upon this article and I need to take exception to most of its points:

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/11/19/ ... ird-party/

The Switch is destroying its competition largely because it bucks the trends and is different. Yet the author seems to recommend Nintendo do what all the less successful consoles are.

Comments?

1. I have to disagree with you here. Even the Nintendo first-party games are creeping up in size. Increasing the storage capacity of the console is a consumer-friendly move. 32GB is pretty pathetic for a device released in 2017.

2. Again, I see nothing but positives in making the network infrastructure better. Nintendo has traditionally been about a decade behind in this regard. Increasing online functionality won't take away your offline experiences.

3. I agree with you when it comes to titles like L.A. Noire, Skyrim, and Doom. I'm left scratching my head thinking "sure it may be possible, but why would I want this?"

4. I don't see a reason to oppose this. Like the other points, it only adds to the experience. If you don't want to use it, don't.

5. Agreed fully!

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 28th, 2017, 8:55 pm

I think there there is merit to both your points and the article. I do agree that there should be more storage. At $300 I should not have to purchase additional storage...32GB is NOT enough. Also, I would disagree that Nintendo is "destroying" the competition. The PS4 is still outselling the switch on a weekly basis. Plus with the PS4 at $199 over black Friday expect Sony to outsell the Switch by a 2 to 1 margin. I like my Switch but please pump the brakes on some of the commentary related to its success. It hasn't been out a year and could fizzle out due to a number of reasons.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 28th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Miiverse - one of the coolest things Nintendo has done in its history. Bring it back.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 28th, 2017, 11:27 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:I think there there is merit to both your points and the article. I do agree that there should be more storage. At $300 I should not have to purchase additional storage...32GB is NOT enough. Also, I would disagree that Nintendo is "destroying" the competition. The PS4 is still outselling the switch on a weekly basis. Plus with the PS4 at $199 over black Friday expect Sony to outsell the Switch by a 2 to 1 margin. I like my Switch but please pump the brakes on some of the commentary related to its success. It hasn't been out a year and could fizzle out due to a number of reasons.

But their is one country that the Nintendo Switch is crusing the PS4 in sales and that country is Japan!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/1 ... ssey_fever

https://game-insider.com/2015/11/18/ps4 ... -in-japan/

Nintendo Switch in Japan hit 2 Million in just 7 or 8 Months, PS4 hit 2 Million in Japan in just a year and 9 Months which is a huge diffrence!

This does show that Japan has a better tast in Video Games compared to the west!

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » December 3rd, 2017, 3:59 pm

I think 5 is the one I would agree with.

My pal has got a switch so I am going to get to play it. That is if he gets it out of the box. What is the game I most want to play Bomberman. I love that game.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » December 11th, 2017, 2:34 am

Dave, I love you and often agree with your views, but I have to disagree with every one of your points. I'm probably the biggest Nintendo fanboy on this forum (I really miss you Steer/Segatarious, and I hope you come back someday), but even I'll admit the Switch has some flaws that can be fixed.

1. I agree with Ptdebate, increasing storage space would be nothing but consumer friendly. There are a lot of awesome looking indies I would love to download. I don't think I should have to pay a crap ton of money for an SD card just for that luxury. 32 GB is laughable.

2. Nintendo needs to go heavy on online support because it's 2017 and many gamers nowadays play online. I don't really care at all about online personally, but it's absurd that players that do have to deal with crap like friend codes and using a phone app for voice chat.

3. More third party support would be great for business, especially for enticing gamers who don't really care about first party Nintendo games. And while it would be great if that meant getting the same games as the competition and even original exclusives, getting ports of older games still has value, as you would be able to play them on the go.

4. Netflix isn't necessary, but it would be nice for the system to have additional features besides great games and portability.

5. Okay, I agree with you here. Please release Switch Virtual Console soon, Nintendo. Retro gamers would love it.

Return to “Video Games General”