Best Wario game?

General and high profile video game topics.
Retrology

Best Wario game?

Postby Retrology » January 31st, 2018, 1:56 pm

With all the great stuff Nintendo does, we often forget how good the Wario games are. They're innovative, offbeat, lowbrow, and a lot of fun.

So what's the best game in the franchise?

My vote goes to Wario Land 4. For being the 4th game in the series, it feels fresh and is addicting as hell. It strips to the core gameplay of a 2D platformer, making the treasure hunting and exploring aspects a lot of fun. Plus there's plenty of surprises and fresh twists.

Thoughts?

ESauce

Re: Best Wario game?

Postby ESauce » January 31st, 2018, 10:02 pm

Agreed on Wario Land 4. Second on my list would be the Virtual Boy wario Land. Then Wario Land 1 and finally 2. I’ve never played the 3rd one though.

And if we’re counting Shake It in the rankings then that might be tied for the second spot.

JWK

Postby JWK » February 2nd, 2018, 4:30 pm

I’d give a third nomination to Warioland 4. Amazing execution and very unique in Nintendo’s bloated 2d platforming catalogue.

ESauce already mentioned it, but I’ve always found Shake It! to be one of the most underrated games on the Wii. Continues Wario’s trend of unique platforming, it also has gorgeous art an animation.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » February 5th, 2018, 5:32 am

I'm not sure why, but I never really liked the Wario platform games. I prefer the mechanics of traditional Mario games. On the other, I adore the WarioWare games, those are the best for me! I think WarioWare Inc. (GBA/Game Boy), WarioWario Twisted (GBA) and WarioWare Touched! are all fantastic. WarioWare: DIY (DS) and WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Wii) are decent, but not fantastic imo. WarioWario: Snapped! is awful, because it doesn't work properly (the idea is actually good). It's disappointing Nintendo never released a WarioWare game for the 3DS, though Ultimate NES Remix comes close. I think WarioWare would also really work well as iPhone/iPad game, so maybe Nintendo has plans in the future for that.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » February 5th, 2018, 10:13 am

It doesn't get no better than Wario Land:Super Mario Land 3 on the original Gameboy or Wario:The Master Of Disguise on the DS because these two play much better than the ones mentioned so far. Sure WarioWare Inc is good but it doesn't really capture what makes the "Rival" of mario great. :idea:

Return to “Video Games General”