Finding old controllers that work?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Finding old controllers that work?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 9th, 2018, 11:54 am

I mentioned in another thread that I just bought a PS2 and some games for it. The console works fine, as do the games, but both controllers have been broken. The first one was junk, so I returned it for another that felt better but turns out you have to really mash the buttons to get them to register. Anybody know a good, reliable place to get classic console controllers of consistent quality?

ESauce

Re: Finding old controllers that work?

Postby ESauce » February 9th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Good luck with PS2 controllers. They are not very durable. If it’s just the buttons you might open it up and see if it just needs to be cleaned. When gunk gets in there they become mushy and hard to press.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 9th, 2018, 5:01 pm

That is surprising to me. I’ve had my same Sony PS2 controllers for years and never had a problem. My best advice is to Buy an unused Sony or Madcatz controller off EBay for the PS2.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 10th, 2018, 6:55 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I mentioned in another thread that I just bought a PS2 and some games for it. The console works fine, as do the games, but both controllers have been broken. The first one was junk, so I returned it for another that felt better but turns out you have to really mash the buttons to get them to register. Anybody know a good, reliable place to get classic console controllers of consistent quality?

So, its particularly that you have to mash the buttons? I'm going to echo Esauce's advice then to open it up and try cleaning the button contacts and everywhere you can reach. I normally try the classic q-tip and low water content alcohol trick. Be careful with electronics/contact cleaners, in that some can melt plastics.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » February 10th, 2018, 12:09 pm

matmico399 wrote:That is surprising to me. I’ve had my same Sony PS2 controllers for years and never had a problem. My best advice is to Buy an unused Sony or Madcatz controller off EBay for the PS2.

This. Controllers for most systems are really cheap on ebay. Exceptions I've noticed are things like light guns for all the systems, but standard controllers are easy to come by.

Return to “Video Games General”