Sears Tele-cade Games

General and high profile video game topics.
LuckyMan

Re: Sears Tele-cade Games

Postby LuckyMan » February 17th, 2018, 2:37 am

I didn't realize you were thinking about adding more Sears games. That could be quite a lot! I don't know if you really need to do that. Your reviews aren't a complete game database, they're reviews of the games you own. But if you would like to add some more of the Sears titles, I think just adding a few that are quite different from the Atari titles, like the following:

Baseball (Home Run)
Chase (Surround)
Maze (Slot Racers)
Outer Space (Star Ship)
Pong Sports (Video Olympics)
Race (Indy 500)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 17th, 2018, 8:22 am

Yeah I'm thinking about adding all the Sears games. The problem is, there's like 50 of them!
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~awwatkin/ATARI/26 ... Sears.html

So do I want to add 50 mostly-empty reviews?
Now I'm leaning back towards the model of just using the "aka" in a single review.
Especially since some of the Sears title are pretty obscure like Outer Space and Tanks Plus.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 17th, 2018, 9:20 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yeah I'm thinking about adding all the Sears games. The problem is, there's like 50 of them!

Now I'm leaning back towards the model of just using the "aka" in a single review.
Especially since some of the Sears title are pretty obscure like Outer Space and Tanks Plus.

I think the obscurity of the titles is a reason to add them. Your site has grown to become a nice resource on this early consoles, on an internet that has a big recency issue. Sure there are other places like AtariAge, but its easy to get lost or confused over there.

I would encourage you to go ahead and add the names at least on the search list in the Atari 2600 library. From there, they could just link to the Atari name game review, but at least someone would find this site by doing a search on a search engine, and find the game on the drop down list of games in the library.

LuckyMan

Postby LuckyMan » February 17th, 2018, 11:46 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yeah I'm thinking about adding all the Sears games. The problem is, there's like 50 of them!

The thing that bothers me about that is that adding the Sears name to the Atari listings is incorrect. That's the title of the Sears game, not the Atari version. I still say most of the Sears titles are similar enough that it's pretty obvious what Atari game they are, except for the games you already have listed in your reviews and games in my post above plus Tank-Plus which I forgot to add to my post.

Besides, there are many of the same 2600 games released under different titles, including some Atari released themselves... some of which you mention in your review, but others that you do not. I don't know if adding all of the Sears titles is really necessary.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 20th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Now I'm leaning towards the single-review/aka model, considering just how many alternate titles are out there.
Plus I don't want somebody getting excited to see a game called Race, only to find out it's just Indy 500.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 21st, 2018, 8:59 am

It's not just Sears; Chuck Norris Superkicks has a note to look up Kung-Fu Superkicks. I think there are a few Zeller's titles handled this way as well.

http://videogamecritic.com/mobile/2600c ... 001#rev127

Personally, I'd leave it the same.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 21st, 2018, 12:37 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Now I'm leaning towards the single-review/aka model, considering just how many alternate titles are out there.
Plus I don't want somebody getting excited to see a game called Race, only to find out it's just Indy 500.

Is it possible to have both games listed as separate entries in the big list on the Atari 2600 page, but then have both links direct to the same single review? Or is that not preferred?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 27th, 2018, 7:45 pm

It occurred to me that the Chuck Norris title (1983) should be the one with the actual review. Kung Fu Superkicks was basically just a re-release in 1989.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 2nd, 2018, 2:51 pm

Still agonizing how to handle the Sears titles. I was going to enter a few of them today (with their own entries linking to the Atari versions), and thinking about using different screenshots for some variety. But then I noticed AtariAge.com doesn't even list those games!

Thoughts?

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » March 2nd, 2018, 5:00 pm

Thoughts? Critic please don’t agonize too much. There are much more important things in life. Like why hasn’t North Vs South been reviewed. :D

Return to “Video Games General”