Cats like this icon idea?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Cats like this icon idea?

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 19th, 2018, 3:39 pm

This is a pretty silly idea but I try not to take this site too seriously. I noticed that on rare occasions one of my cats will take an interest in a game I'm playing. Maybe I should have a "cats like this" icon or something like that? Might be kind of funny.

Thoughts?

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Cats like this icon idea?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 19th, 2018, 4:35 pm

I dunno. I like the idea of "joke" icons, but I think they should pertain to things your readers might experience too. Something like your "Cheese" or "Chicken" icons. Saying that your cats took an interest in it doesn't mean much to anyone who doesn't own your cats. Maybe something like "Don't let your wife/mom catch you playing this" would be a better joke icon, IMO.

Rev

Postby Rev » February 19th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Honestly, I kind of agree with DaHeckIzDat. However, if there is a game about Mice, Cats (Blink Xbox), or something might be funny since more people can relate.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » February 19th, 2018, 6:49 pm

If a cat likes something, it might tell me the thing is evil and should be destroyed. Seriously, cats: pure evil.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 19th, 2018, 9:25 pm

The icon should be toxoplasma gondii

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 22nd, 2018, 10:25 am

"My cat likes this" might be funny, but if I saw a cat icon I'd assume the game had cats.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » February 22nd, 2018, 12:00 pm

If you do decide to have a "Cats like this" icon, I would like to nominate the Hot Shots Golf series. Seriously, my cat will not stop staring at the screen when I play those games.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 22nd, 2018, 4:02 pm

I think it would be funny. Although I don’t own a cat as I’m not particularly fond of them. Luv dogs though! Herschie still needs to send me his pug. I bet that little fella would get along great with my German Shepherd Savannah! She luvs little dogs. Herschie plz keep the white one.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » February 23rd, 2018, 2:59 am

I am all for this! I think it could be similar to the "Chicks Dig This" icon that's already in place. You could have some serious fun with it, too. I'd label it something like "Cats Dig This?" or "Cats Dig This???"

My wife has taken a ton of snapshots over the years of our cat hanging out with me while I play certain games. The atmosphere has to be just right - he has to be in the same room, or not "busy" taking a nap, or something - but when it works, it works.

There was a moment about ten years ago when I was sitting on the floor of our then-apartment playing Killer 7 on the Gamecube. He jumped right up in my lap, settled down, faced the screen, and couldn't take his eyes off of it. His head would jump around whenever things got crazy (which, in that game, is often!) and he was so, so into it. When I was done playing, and had to get up to turn the system off, he didn't budge, and stared back at me and started meowing, as if to say, "No! Don't turn it off!" It was a trip!

By far, though, his favorite game is OutRun on the Sega Genesis. I've actually had him come running into the room when I started the game up, making noises like, "Hey! Wait for me!" He loves to sit in my lap and stare down the passing traffic, looking to the left or right whenever a car comes whizzing by. He looks over at the speakers as they pass by, and "follows" the car as it leaves the screen. Then, of course, he snaps his head back to the center, waiting for another car to come by. It's a riot, and best of all, he couldn't care less about the actual game, or how well I'm actually doing. He's a little less fond of me making up my own words to "Passing Breeze" and singing them to him while I drive, but hey, you can't have it all 8-)

There's plenty of videos out there of cats going crazy during Duck Hunt, pawing at the ducks as they scramble across the screen. My cat never seemed to care for that one (he positively *hates* the clicking sound of the Zapper) but if I were going to pick just one game as a bonafide "cat game," Duck Hunt would be it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 23rd, 2018, 4:36 pm

Sounds like this icon is gaining steam! If anyone has any designs let me know. I might try to digitize the face of one of my cats.

Return to “Video Games General”