Dave’s No Cursing Policy

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

Dave’s No Cursing Policy

Postby matmico399 » February 21st, 2018, 5:05 pm

I give kudos to the VGC for having a no cursing policy in the forums. I mean minor words like damn and hell are okay. But there are no Gd’s of F’s. I find it refreshing. I work in security all day and hear the garbage all day long and am sick of it. Plus I direct my Son to this site all the time as He is a big gamer. The VGC wants people of all ages to enjoy this site. Small kids included who are old enough to read and game. I wish more of the Internet were more like this. Thanks Dave for keeping it family friendly! :D

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Dave’s No Cursing Policy

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 21st, 2018, 8:06 pm

You're welcome!

I straddle the line a bit, using [expletive] to mask out would-be profanity. Gotta keep a little bit of passion in there. I do tend to curse in real life, but only in the company of friends. Cursing in public (especially in front of kids) is just trashy and I despise it. I consider the internet to be public.

I never considered "hell" or "damn" to be cursing, but apparently some people think they are. My young nephew once told me "ass" was a bad word, so to each his own. To those people offended, I'm sorry!!

Voor

Postby Voor » February 21st, 2018, 10:26 pm

As a parent, the cursing in public is a tough issue. When some idiot curses without any regard to who is around him/her, you can either try to move away OR confront them. Of course, if they are idiotic enough to curse to begin with, it seems unlikely that they’ll be like “oh I’m so sorry, please accept my apologies”. Typically a drunken jackass. Lol.

We consider hell, damn, and ass to be curse words in my family. I personally rarely curse and typically restrain my anger, but sometimes I wonder if it would actually be helpful for my kids to see my upset sometimes. I don’t know...still thinking about it.

Is it cuss, curse, or swear?

scotland

Postby scotland » February 22nd, 2018, 10:00 am

I am going to echo this sentiment.

I know to some people any profanity is too much, but I like the bar set where it is here. Hearing too much profanity takes my brain out of listening and learning mode to reacting mode. Profanity is emotional language, not informative language, at least to me.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 22nd, 2018, 10:09 am

I usually consider hell, damn, ass, curse words. Especially damn; you're literally saying something should be separated from everything good for all eternity. That's harsh, especially for a silly game. It's not even original.

As for expressing emotion, there are, more creative, other ways. Mashing on the keyboard takes about as much intelligence as writing damn this or that.

Having said that, there are worse sites. Turned off a YouTube video because the reviewer couldn't stop saying fuck this or that.

(All curse words here are meant as reference, similar to a dictionary; not as an actual curse.)

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » February 22nd, 2018, 7:35 pm

In the unlikely event any of us should ever meet in real life, apparently, I need to apologize in advance. I swear just a ton. It's not emotional language or stupidity or anything else. It's how lots of outport Newfoundlanders talk. We are descended from (and many of us still are) Irish fisherfolk and ship builders. I can keep it under control in mixed environments and at work. My wife cannot. She is from a fishing town with 600 people, and both her parents worked on a fishing boat, as did almost her entire extended family. She uses the "c" word in casual conversation. :)

In any case, it is nice to have a site that is family friendly. To swear in writing, it has to be meant, and is usually very unnecessary.

GTS

Postby GTS » February 22nd, 2018, 9:34 pm

I completely disagree with what people are saying. The whole concept of "bad words" is laughable. They are only bad because people say they are bad. Words are just soundwaves coming from our mouths. Why ban certain soundwaves and not others? I think there are more important things to be concerned about in terms of protecting our kids. Banning words is of zero importance and is a waste of time. I'm sorry.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 22nd, 2018, 9:39 pm

GTS wrote:I completely disagree with what people are saying. The whole concept of "bad words" is laughable. They are only bad because people say they are bad. Words are just soundwaves coming from our mouths. Why ban certain soundwaves and not others? I think there are more important things to be concerned about in terms of protecting our kids. Banning words is of zero importance and is a waste of time. I'm sorry.

Eh.. I mean, maybe the "f" word is bad only because people say it's bad, but I still wouldn't say it to my grandma, or in a church, or in most business contexts. I see no issue with Dave requiring the same basic decency here. However, I'm glad that minor swear words, like damn and hell, aren't banned. We don't need to get too crazy...

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 22nd, 2018, 10:06 pm

GTS wrote:I completely disagree with what people are saying. The whole concept of "bad words" is laughable. They are only bad because people say they are bad. Words are just soundwaves coming from our mouths. Why ban certain soundwaves and not others?

Is this some kind of joke? The entire point of words is that they aren't "just" sounds; that you can identify them as words at all puts the lie to this ridiculous idea.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » February 23rd, 2018, 8:49 am

Stalvern wrote:
GTS wrote:I completely disagree with what people are saying. The whole concept of "bad words" is laughable. They are only bad because people say they are bad. Words are just soundwaves coming from our mouths. Why ban certain soundwaves and not others?

Is this some kind of joke? The entire point of words is that they aren't "just" sounds; that you can identify them as words at all puts the lie to this ridiculous idea.

Post modernism vs. Enlightenment rationality: Round 1 -- Fight!
*gets popcorn*

Return to “Video Games General”