Man vs Snake: The Long and Twisted Tale of Nibbler

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Man vs Snake: The Long and Twisted Tale of Nibbler

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 1st, 2018, 6:49 pm

Catching up on my arcade game movies, I watched Man vs Snake: The Long and Twisted Tale of Nibbler last night on Netflix.

This documentary is very much in the same vein as King of Kong, and incorporates some of the same characters including Walter Day (founder of Twin Galaxies) and Billy Mitchell. The story centers around Tim McVey (no, not that one) who became the first player to score 1 BILLION points in a game. He did it on an obscure snake/maze game called Nibbler, which actually had 9 digits in its score. The thing is, it takes roughly 40 hours to reach a score that high!

Tim originally set the record in 1984, but a year later a kid in Italy reportedly topped in. This movie is about Tim returning to the game 25 years later to reclaim what was rightfully his. Another player from the old days forms a friendly competition to get the high score, and along the way everything that can possibly go wrong does - and then some. I found this movie fascinating but also exhausting, watching these guys put so much blood, sweat, and tears into obtaining this record.

It's a notch below King of Kong, but it's still a very good film video that game players will enjoy.

So... what should I watch next?

Stalvern

Re: Man vs Snake: The Long and Twisted Tale of Nibbler

Postby Stalvern » March 1st, 2018, 9:28 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So... what should I watch next?

Something that you know you should see but just haven't gotten around to yet. Blue Velvet. Seven Samurai. The Departed. Those are a few of mine; I'm sure that you have your own.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 2nd, 2018, 12:38 am

Never heard of this one. I'll have to check it out.

If you have Amazon Prime, I highly recommend watching "The Video Game Years" series on their streaming service.

If you haven't seen "Atari: Game Over" you might like that too. It's the 2014 documentary about the video game crash and the dig in the New Mexico landfill that found all the old Atari games.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 5th, 2018, 6:12 pm

I need your advice. I'd like to post my capsule reviews of King of Kong and Man Vs. Snake while they are fresh in my mind. I'm trying to figure out where to put them.

Current on my archives page there's a section for Movie and Video Reviews.
http://videogamecritic.com/special.htm?ex=1

Should I lump these two new reviews in an existing page, or start a new one.
And if I do make a new page, what do I call it?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 5th, 2018, 7:09 pm

It looks like you've put past movie reviews on their own page, and then put them under the Movie archives heading. I think you should just do the same thing for these, unless you plan to do a bunch of new gaming movie reviews in the near future.

Return to “Video Games General”