Recommend me some games

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Recommend me some games

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 5th, 2018, 12:17 am

All right... as if my backlog isn't long enough already... recommend me some games. I won't say which games I own, or what genres I like. Just that I own a PS2, PS3, PS4, 360, and a Wii U. I'm just genuinely curious to see what all people will recommend. Maybe I'll find a game I've never heard of before!

ptdebate

Re: Recommend me some games

Postby ptdebate » March 5th, 2018, 11:45 am

Since you have a 360, have you picked up Lost Odyssey yet?

Since you liked Nier, you might enjoy Deadly Premonition. It’s an oddball detective story that is very rough around the edges, but highly entertaining if you like weird games.

Please don’t miss Persona 5. I think you’ll absolutely love it.

If your PC is still working, check out the Steam port of Grandia 2. I know you’re more of a story guy, but the battle system in this game is unsurpassed as far as I’m concerned.

Also on Steam, check out the Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky series. Very well-written story-focused RPGs with lots of lore.

The FFXII remaster on PS4 is just essential for JRPG fans. Phenomenal game.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » March 5th, 2018, 1:29 pm

The game demo I was playing a lot this weekend was Diablo 3. There's a ps3 port of the game that was released a few years ago, and it is pretty cheap now. I'm always talking about games I can really "sink my teeth into" (see my thread called" a game I can sink my teeth into") and this sure seems like it. Level up characters, learn new move, explore areas on the map.

I would also recommend Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks. Similar gameplay style to diablo, with so may environments from Mortal Kombat 2, like the dead pool, living forest. Environments are interactive as well; you can knock zombies onto hooks that hang from the ceiling in the dead pool. You can level up and buy new moves, and the boss battles make my blood boil with their intensity

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 5th, 2018, 1:54 pm

ptdebate wrote:Since you have a 360, have you picked up Lost Odyssey yet?

I've had that for a while and I keep telling myself I should go back to it, but the very beginning didn't catch my attention like I was hoping it would. Then again, I was kind of going through a depressed phase back then, and a lot of cool things I should have loved didn't make much of an impression on me. Like, I tried watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and hated the first episode, but I went back and rewatched it last week when I was feeling better and loved it.

Sut

Postby Sut » March 5th, 2018, 3:26 pm

I’m gonna throw a few obvious ones in first:
Horizon Zero Dawn
Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain (everyone should play this)
Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance 1&2
Out Run Coast 2 Coast

Perhaps a few less obvious ones
Sky Target Anniversary (shooter with RPG grind mechanics)
Shadows of Mystara
Another World 20th Anniversary

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » March 5th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Sut wrote:I’m gonna throw a few obvious ones in first:
Horizon Zero Dawn
Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain (everyone should play this)
Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance 1&2
Out Run Coast 2 Coast

Perhaps a few less obvious ones
Sky Target Anniversary (shooter with RPG grind mechanics)
Shadows of Mystara
Another World 20th Anniversary

Agree 100% on The Phantom Pain. The story isn't as compelling as, say, MGS3's, but the gameplay is absolutely impeccable. Probably the best stealth/action game ever made. Even if you're not big on stealth, TPP is just so ridiculously fun to play.

GTS

Postby GTS » March 5th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Rainbow Six Siege. Rough launch, but now played by millions. The rounds go by quick, and they keep releasing free content and operators.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 8th, 2018, 2:20 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:All right... as if my backlog isn't long enough already... recommend me some games. I won't say which games I own, or what genres I like. Just that I own a PS2, PS3, PS4, 360, and a Wii U. I'm just genuinely curious to see what all people will recommend. Maybe I'll find a game I've never heard of before!

Sorry to harp on Final Fantasy VII ever since ptdebate's review (but not sorry...), but since I know you're a big RPG fan, I highly recommend trying FF7 at some point, if you haven't already. I think that'd be up your alley. Now is the perfect time, because the PS4 download (with smoothed-up graphics and other enhancements) is on sale for $8 this week, and it's the definitive version. I bought it last night, played it for 2 hours, and can't wait to get back to it.. But I'd be interested to hear the take of someone who plays it for the first time, without any nostalgia bias.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » March 11th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:All right... as if my backlog isn't long enough already... recommend me some games. I won't say which games I own, or what genres I like. Just that I own a PS2, PS3, PS4, 360, and a Wii U. I'm just genuinely curious to see what all people will recommend. Maybe I'll find a game I've never heard of before!

Sorry to harp on Final Fantasy VII ever since ptdebate's review (but not sorry...), but since I know you're a big RPG fan, I highly recommend trying FF7 at some point, if you haven't already. I think that'd be up your alley. Now is the perfect time, because the PS4 download (with smoothed-up graphics and other enhancements) is on sale for $8 this week, and it's the definitive version. I bought it last night, played it for 2 hours, and can't wait to get back to it.. But I'd be interested to hear the take of someone who plays it for the first time, without any nostalgia bias.

Honestly, I played FFVII for the first time in 2009. Not beat for the first time, but literally started my first ever playthrough. I was in college at that point and wanted to revisit all the games I had missed growing up. I played FFVII alongside the much more visually impressive FFXIII and was still blown away by how much personality the former has.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 11th, 2018, 10:25 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:

Honestly, I played FFVII for the first time in 2009. Not beat for the first time, but literally started my first ever playthrough. I was in college at that point and wanted to revisit all the games I had missed growing up. I played FFVII alongside the much more visually impressive FFXIII and was still blown away by how much personality the former has.

I actually already have FFVII on PS4. I had it before that on PS3. Final Fantasy games just have a hard time keeping my attention for some reason. I blame the turn based combat-- never liked that.

Return to “Video Games General”