It's the little things...

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

It's the little things...

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 7th, 2018, 6:40 pm

I'm reviewing Chuck Norris Superkicks (Atari 2600), and I noticed that as you progress to higher levels, your belt changes colors to reflect your improved skill. It's little details like this that make games - particularly classic games - so interesting and endearing.

Another example is Realsports Volleyball for the Atari 2600. It's a pretty average game by any measure, but after a game is over, if you let it sit, you'll see a shark fin on the prowl under the moonlit sky. That is awesome.

I'd like to hear any examples you have of little details that really make a big impression.

Voor

Re: It's the little things...

Postby Voor » March 7th, 2018, 8:24 pm

YOShis Island—in the famous level “Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy”, if Yoshi touches a fuzzy, the whole level trips out for a while. If you look closely, you’ll notice that Yoshi’s eyes change to reflect the “stoned” state he’s in. In the snow level, Mario’s signature red cap is changed to a snow hat.

Super Metroid—when you come across a corpse, theres little bugs that scurry away. Also, early in the mission, you go through the end stage where you beat Mother Brain in Metroid 1 (complete with her glass container). Also, I love how the weather near the ship changes subtlety.

Kings of the Beach—how the players kick the sand or jump up and down when they miss.

Ken Griffey winning run—if you don’t pitch for a while, the umpire taps the TV screen and says “play the game, kid”.

***as you can tell, I like this topic.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » March 7th, 2018, 10:17 pm

In Outrun 2, if you don't leave the start, the flag guy does a series of dances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRKffIyKRDM

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 7th, 2018, 11:21 pm

In Mario Odyssey if you go next to where Pauline is singing Mario will start to dance.

djc

Postby djc » March 8th, 2018, 12:10 am

I've always liked attention to detail in games as well as easter eggs. Not to divert from the topic too much but one of my favorite easter eggs is Superman in the Sega Master System version of Choplifter. Basically - if you land right in front of the missile silo after the second house on the first stage and then hover ever so slightly off the floor while shooting the missiles being released, you will eventually see Superman fly straight up towards the sky.

Doing this makes the prisoners run from the houses at twice their normal speed which makes the level a lot easier.

Sut

Postby Sut » March 8th, 2018, 2:33 am

Castlevania: Rondo of blood & Contra Hard Corps
You see some bosses in the background earlier in the stage before you come to battle them.

Duke Nukem 3D:
When Duke sees himself in the mirror and exclaims “looking good”.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » March 8th, 2018, 9:09 am

Crash Bandicoot 2 - leaving footprints in the snow.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » March 8th, 2018, 11:04 am

yea Crash Bandicoot 3 had Crash playing with a yo-yo if he was idle for too long. This was exciting at the time, because the game came out when I was in 5th grade, and yo-yo's were huge in my class then.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » March 8th, 2018, 2:23 pm

I remember that! If you leave Crash standing on a snow level for too long he'll begin to shiver. Naughty Dog was very detail oriented.

If you leave Sonic standing there too long he'll look at the screen as if to say "What's taking so long?" Might tap his foot too.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » March 8th, 2018, 4:09 pm

pacman000 wrote:I remember that! If you leave Crash standing on a snow level for too long he'll begin to shiver. Naughty Dog was very detail oriented.

And they stayed detail oriented. I remember being amazed when I first played Uncharted at the fact that the playable character would actually brush his hand against the wall and lean while going through tight spaces. I’d seen realistic looking characters before that but it was the first time I’d seen realistic animations.

Return to “Video Games General”