Secret of Mana: Original or PS4?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Secret of Mana: Original or PS4?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 9th, 2018, 8:47 pm

I'm not an RPG nut but I do appreciate the genre and like to add essential RPGs to my collection. They really tend to hold their value and I hope to play them at some point.

Recently I noticed Secret of Mana is now available for the PS4 for $50. I'm never owned the game, but I saw this as an opportunity to add a true classic to my collection. But just for the heck of it, I looked it up the original on ebay. It turns out you can get a complete original version for a little over $100.

So now I'm wondering what I should do? Thoughts?

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Secret of Mana: Original or PS4?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 9th, 2018, 10:21 pm

I'm actually hoping to play both and write reviews for the RPG crew, assuming nobody else grabs them first. I have the first on my SNES Classic and I can grab the remake when I'm done with it.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 10th, 2018, 12:02 am

I've never played it either, but, as DaHeckIzDat mentioned, I think this game is on the SNES Classic, which could be another option.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » March 10th, 2018, 12:19 am

It is a Action RPG so this is something you will enjoy more in that sense critic so give it a try, but be warned the game without patches on PS4 is quite buggy, so my advice is wait for a later release Nintendo Switch port with all the patches baked in as the creator of the recent remake wants it on Switch.: https://gematsu.com/2018/01/square-enix ... calization But it is your choice critic?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 10th, 2018, 11:29 am

Retro STrife wrote:I've never played it either, but, as DaHeckIzDat mentioned, I think this game is on the SNES Classic, which could be another option.

You can grab a Classic for a little over $100 now, and that includes 19 other games besides Secret of Mana. I'd be interested in seeing a console review for it, if you were so inclined.

David

Postby David » March 10th, 2018, 1:14 pm

I’ve read in multiple places the remake is not very good. I’d stick with the original cart or the SNES Classic.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 10th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Thanks for the tip about the SNES classic option. $100 isn't too bad, but damn, you'd think Nintendo would have met the demand by now!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 10th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Last I heard, they were only going to produce them until the end of December last year. I managed to get one the night they were released for $80, but now your only hope is probably from scalpers. Even the ones you see on Walmart.com are going to be from scalpers paying for space on our website.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » March 10th, 2018, 4:52 pm

The remake is garbage unfortunately. Definitely play the original.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 10th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Surprised nobody posted the Digital Foundry video comparing the original and the remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MeuyPm ... bU9cND7U-A

Another option is the Wii Virtual Console. It's a $8 download, but don't drag your feet since adding Wii Shop credit ends later this month.

I recommend a Super Everdrive cartridge instead though. For $86 you can play this and any other SuperNes game on original hardware that didn't use an on board enhancement chip. And with a DSP-1 co-processor added to the cart, it can even play a decent chunk of those.

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/super-everdrive-basic.html

That said, Nintendo said they were continuing production into 2018 for an unannounced amount of time. So if you really want a SNES Classic Edition, don't pay scalper prices.

They've been easy to find here. Other than for most of February when they disappeared for a few weeks, the local Wal-Mart has had them in regularly since just before Christmas. There have been at least six units in the case in recent weeks each time I'm there, and Brickseek makes it look like that's pretty typical for this region when I've checked.

But we're almost two and a half months into 2018 now, so every shipment could end up being the last.

Return to “Video Games General”