Games that would benefit from a Battle Royale mode?

General and high profile video game topics.
Retro STrife

Re: Games that would benefit from a Battle Royale mode?

Postby Retro STrife » March 18th, 2018, 5:11 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
scotland wrote:This sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't tried this yet. This looks like it also avoids the need for communication, so no profanity from teammates to deal with, and no headset needed at all.

Does the battlefield shrink about a known point, or is it a random point or a changing point? If players are in the dark about how the map is shrinking, they can't camp out. They have to keep on the move.

This sounds like Hunger Games: The Video Game kind of thing. It also sounds like it would work with the Switch too.

You're right, it really is like The Hunger Games. As for the map, you can bring up an overview of the map and it'll show you where the safe zone is. It starts off where the entire maps is safe, then 90% of it, then 80%, etc. And it isn't constantly shrinking. It'll shrink to a certain point, then start a timer that tells you when it'll start shrinking again. There's also a timer that shows how long until it finishes shrinking. And no, once it starts shrinking it stays in that general area. It doesn't jump all over the map. But the safe area DOES change randomly from match to match.

Yeah, comparing it to the Hunger Games is the easiest way to explain it to someone who hasn't played it before. I've always wanted a game like this - but I assume the technology to handle 100 players online wasn't there for consoles until this generation.

You're right about not hearing a bunch of annoying kids chattering and swearing. In Fortnite, you can play Solo, Team of 2, or Squad of 4. I almost always play Solo. You hear no one in solo, so the mic is unneeded. You only hear teammates in team games. So that cuts out one of the most obnoxious parts about online shooters. These games also cut out idiot players... by forcing you to have a modicum of brains in your head to survive, that means that all the brain-dead Call of Duty "charge in head-first" players die off very quickly, never to be seen again thanks to the lack of respawns. Aggression has its choice moments, but full-on aggression and stupidity will spell an early death for sure.

As for the shrinking map, yes the games use a "storm" to gradually shrink the play field, in order to force players together and keep games relatively short. The storm encircles the map and slowly closes in. The storm closes in across various rounds, and the timer indicates when it will start closing again. Get caught in the storm for too long and you'll die, so that keeps you from camping for too long. In Fortnite, you never know where the storm will go next. The playable area gets smaller and smaller, but you have only a small window of advance notice (like 2 or 3 minutes) to get to the next spot.

It's a very innovative concept and really gets you hooked. I'm not a big fan of online shooters, so this is probably the most I've played one online in years and years. Truly a must-play game, especially since FBR is free.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 12th, 2018, 1:01 pm

For non-FPS games, here's another one: Twisted Metal. Imagine 1 vs 100 in that series.

And other series with car combat too, like the old Destruction Derby series.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » May 8th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Pacman... errr no wait that is a last man standing game anyway....

Defender? Same thing...

Wait I have it... Battlezone as there is a new one out on the Xbox .. it is already on the VR PS4.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 10th, 2018, 9:03 pm

I was trying to think of an older game that used the concept of "the storm", and then I remembered Bomberman. When the timer is ticking down, walls start building from the outside in.

Return to “Video Games General”