Games that would benefit from a Battle Royale mode?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Games that would benefit from a Battle Royale mode?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 15th, 2018, 5:27 pm

PUBG may have made it popular, but Fortnite proved that they weren't the only ones who could do Battle Royale. What other games do you think would benefit from a mode like this?

1.Grand Theft Auto 5: The developers have already said they don't want to do this because it would be too derivative, but I still think it would work. Imagine having all of GTAV's map to run around in, with all their crazy weapons and the full selection of vehicles. It would be much more fast paced than either PUBG or Fortnite, but it'd still be fun.

2. Red Dead Redemption 2: Same concept as GTA's, but with a western theme.

3. Breath of the Wild: Okay, hear me out here... imagine that all of BotW's map was open to you, and you started the game by deciding which tower you wanted to be warped to. You start out with your hang glider, but nothing else. You scavenge Hyrule for gear, killing monsters for weapons, and then eventually duke it out with all 99 of the other players-- not with guns, but with swords, spears, and bows and arrows. I honestly think BotW is the perfect game for a different take on the Battle Royale genre.

What about you guys?

Retro STrife

Re: Games that would benefit from a Battle Royale mode?

Postby Retro STrife » March 17th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Based on the limited response to our Fortnite discussions on the boards here, I'm sensing that most members aren't interested in Battle Royale games or haven't tried them yet. :( (P.S. If you haven't tried at least one, get on that..you guys are missing out!) I agree with you about GTA. Also, Halo.. while it wouldn't work near as well as PUBG and FBR, it would still be an interesting bonus mode. Or, let's go outside the box a little, and pick something like Dynasty Warriors.. I've never played those games, but I know that they involve 1 man battling against a giant army.. so, change that army to all human-controlled characters and the best man wins!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 17th, 2018, 11:53 pm

That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how well Dynasty Warriors combat would work. It's a power fantasy game, where you can send entire armies flying across the map with a single swing of your sword. It works when YOU'RE the one doing it, but having 99 other people do it to each other doesn't sound all that fun to me. Way too chaotic.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 18th, 2018, 12:16 am

:lol: true, that doesn't sound like it would work.. I've never played those games before, so was unaware of the dynamics of it. I guess my point was more that, thinking outside the box, this Battle Royale style of gameplay might someday fit within other genres besides shooters. Sort of like you mentioned with BotW.

This BR game mode is the big thing in shooters right now, so we know a bunch of copycat games will come out over the next 10 years. For the first few years, I'd bet that all of those will be shooters. However, after that gets played out, I wouldn't be surprised if some developer tries to innovate the Battle Royale genre by combining it with something other than 1st/3rd person shooters. It'll be interesting to see if that happens.

By the way, I think another good one would be Metal Gear Solid. I often talk about how I use stealth as my main strategy in FBR -- in fact, by using stealth in my last 4 games, I finished 3rd, 4th, 3rd, and 3rd, with only 1 kill that entire time -- so the Metal Gear Solid V engine might work perfectly for a stealth-focused Battle Royale shooter.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 18th, 2018, 12:23 am

I was thinking Horizon Zero Dawn might work too. Imagine scavenging for resources to make different kinds of ammo with, and then building up a robot army to either kill your opponents or to fight their own army while you take the other players down.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 18th, 2018, 8:38 am

Retro STrife wrote:Based on the limited response to our Fortnite discussions on the boards here, I'm sensing that most members aren't interested in Battle Royale games or haven't tried them yet. :( (P.S. If you haven't tried at least one, get on that..you guys are missing out!) I agree with you about GTA. Also, Halo.. while it wouldn't work near as well as PUBG and FBR, it would still be an interesting bonus mode. Or, let's go outside the box a little, and pick something like Dynasty Warriors.. I've never played those games, but I know that they involve 1 man battling against a giant army.. so, change that army to all human-controlled characters and the best man wins!

So what defines Battle Royale?

No respawns? Shrinking battle field? No camping?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 18th, 2018, 10:20 am

scotland wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:Based on the limited response to our Fortnite discussions on the boards here, I'm sensing that most members aren't interested in Battle Royale games or haven't tried them yet. :( (P.S. If you haven't tried at least one, get on that..you guys are missing out!) I agree with you about GTA. Also, Halo.. while it wouldn't work near as well as PUBG and FBR, it would still be an interesting bonus mode. Or, let's go outside the box a little, and pick something like Dynasty Warriors.. I've never played those games, but I know that they involve 1 man battling against a giant army.. so, change that army to all human-controlled characters and the best man wins!

Pretty much. Big open map, choosing your own start position, 99 other players, starting naked and having to scavenge for weapons. One life, and last man standing wins.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 18th, 2018, 11:53 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:
scotland wrote:

Pretty much. Big open map, choosing your own start position, 99 other players, starting naked and having to scavenge for weapons. One life, and last man standing wins.

Yes, that's the formula that the two main ones, PUBG and FBR, are using right now and it works well. But I imagine some tweaks could be made and it would still be considered Battle Royale. For example, you need a ton of other players, but not necessarily 99 (i.e., it could be 64 or 1000); you could start naked, but starting you with a basic loadout would still be Battle Royale; etc. The key feature is tons of other human opponents, and one player/team remains standing at the end.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 18th, 2018, 1:12 pm

This sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't tried this yet. This looks like it also avoids the need for communication, so no profanity from teammates to deal with, and no headset needed at all.

Does the battlefield shrink about a known point, or is it a random point or a changing point? If players are in the dark about how the map is shrinking, they can't camp out. They have to keep on the move.

This sounds like Hunger Games: The Video Game kind of thing. It also sounds like it would work with the Switch too.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 18th, 2018, 1:29 pm

scotland wrote:This sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't tried this yet. This looks like it also avoids the need for communication, so no profanity from teammates to deal with, and no headset needed at all.

Does the battlefield shrink about a known point, or is it a random point or a changing point? If players are in the dark about how the map is shrinking, they can't camp out. They have to keep on the move.

This sounds like Hunger Games: The Video Game kind of thing. It also sounds like it would work with the Switch too.

You're right, it really is like The Hunger Games. As for the map, you can bring up an overview of the map and it'll show you where the safe zone is. It starts off where the entire maps is safe, then 90% of it, then 80%, etc. And it isn't constantly shrinking. It'll shrink to a certain point, then start a timer that tells you when it'll start shrinking again. There's also a timer that shows how long until it finishes shrinking. And no, once it starts shrinking it stays in that general area. It doesn't jump all over the map. But the safe area DOES change randomly from match to match.

Return to “Video Games General”