Future of gaming offline?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Future of gaming offline?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 28th, 2018, 7:22 pm

We've seen the gaming market shift heavily to online in recent years, and the single-player experience has suffered as a result. One designer seems to suggest offline may have a place in the future:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/03/ ... me-design/

While I try to keep an open mind with regards to online play, for me I prefer being in my own little world. It's one of the things that drew me to video games in the first place. Having that world disrupted by outsiders ruins the experience. Then again, I'm kind of an introvert.

Looking at the comments, it appears I'm not the only one with this mindset.

Thoughts?

pacman000

Re: Future of gaming offline?

Postby pacman000 » March 28th, 2018, 10:07 pm

The interviewee makes really artistic games; her saying the best games will be single player is sorta like saying the best films are shown in single screen theaters in major cities.

Stalvern

Re: Future of gaming offline?

Postby Stalvern » March 29th, 2018, 3:57 am

pacman000 wrote:The interviewee makes really artistic games; her saying the best games will be single player is sorta like saying the best films are shown in single screen theaters in major cities.

This is a false dichotomy. There's as much room between Battlegrounds and Gone Home as there is between Thor: Ragnarok and Call Me by Your Name, and there's nothing inherently artsy about single-player games. Hers are plenty artsy - or is that "artisanal"? ('scuse me while I vomit) - but she's talking about large-scale trends and inferring them from her observations of people, which seems reasonable enough to me.

Return to “Video Games General”