Working out while playing games?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Working out while playing games?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 29th, 2018, 10:31 pm

I'll be honest, I need to lose some weight. Ideally, I'd like to get a treadmill but my apartment is too small for one. Instead, I bought one of those mini steppers, hoping it would equate to about the same thing, but but only taking up 1/10th of the space. My plan is to get on it when I'm watching tv or playing video games, and hopefully shed some pounds without sacrificing my me time, you know? Does anyone else do this?

David

Re: Working out while playing games?

Postby David » March 30th, 2018, 7:23 am

I’ve thought about using my switch when I’m on my exercise bike but can’t bring myself to do it. I’m anal as hell about the cleanliness of my electronics and the thought of my sweaty hands all over the joycons grosses me out. So instead I just stick with the iPad.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 30th, 2018, 10:15 am

Play "Punch Out" on the Wii, but actually punch hard and fast. You'll be Slim Jim in no time!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 30th, 2018, 7:24 pm

I've considered this before, but if you're on a tread mill or elliptical your body movements prevent you from controlling the game very well. Plus, I can't really enjoy a game unless I can sit down and focus.

It does seem like a pretty good business opportunity though. If they made a device you could attach to your legs, you could wear it on any kind of walking machine while allowing you to play some kind of Wii Fit style game.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 30th, 2018, 9:37 pm

Okay...I have done this on the elliptical, running a cord from console to elliptical, used some office tack/putty to secure it up the elliptical to the top, leaving enough cable to use the controller with a slight bit of slack.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 30th, 2018, 10:07 pm

scotland wrote:Okay...I have done this on the elliptical, running a cord from console to elliptical, used some office tack/putty to secure it up the elliptical to the top, leaving enough cable to use the controller with a slight bit of slack.

I actually have an elliptical, but trying to work a controller while the two hand... pole... things waved back and forth was just too much to deal with lol

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 31st, 2018, 11:12 am

It's a great thought in theory, but the reality is that both are active activities, so you sacrifice the quality of both when you pair them together. If your goal is to have a good workout, you can't pair it with reading, playing games, or other active activities. Pair it with some passive activity like watching TV shows that you need to catch up on, as long as it's a show that doesn't require a lot of focus or thinking.

Return to “Video Games General”