VGC Pro Nintendo?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

VGC Pro Nintendo?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2018, 11:26 am

In the Axiom Verge thread someone had mentioned I am pro-Nintendo. If that's true, it's been a pretty late development.

In the 80s, I started with an Atari 2600, moved on to the Atari XE computers, and finally the Atari ST.

In the 90s, my system of choice was the Genesis, but I transitioned to the Playstation.

In the 2000s it was the PS2, but by the end of the decade my favorite was the Xbox 360.

In the 2010s I leaned toward the Wii U/Switch, mainly because the PS4 and especially Xbox One seemed to be going "all in" with the online stuff.

So if I'm in the Nintendo camp it took me a long time to get there. Thoughts?

pacman000

Re: VGC Pro Nintendo?

Postby pacman000 » April 8th, 2018, 12:48 pm

You might be pro-Nintendo, but not extremely so. You don't need to knock Ninty's grades down a letter; they're an innovative company which generally makes well-crafted games. Now, you may need to raise Mario Maker's grade a couple of letters... ;)

Rev

Postby Rev » April 8th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Eh... I don't think you are pro-Nintendo. If anything you seem to be pro-offline for your consoles. Which company offers the most reasonable offline experience? Nintendo... However this (to me) explains why you have grown more in favor of Nintendo over the years, not because of the company themself.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 8th, 2018, 3:40 pm

I tend to go back and forth depending on what happens.

Examples during the 5th Gen I take the PS1 and Sega Saturn over N64 any day of the week. The only thing the N64 was used for me was mostly Nintendo and Rare and the few exclusive 3rd party games like Mischief Makers and the N64 Goemon games and that was it. I refuse to play 3rd party multi console games on N64 because of the controller and the cartridges compressed the crap out of the games quality compared to PS1 and Sega Saturn versions.

And for the 6th Gen I take the Sega Dreamcast and Nintendo GameCube over the PS2 any day of the week because I did not like the graphics of the PS2 compared to both the Sega Dreamcast and Nintendo GameCube (PS2 was mostly 480I compared to the 480P focused Dreamcast and GameCube also the load times and frame-rate on PS2 versions are much worse then the Dreamcast and GameCube versions. PS2 was mostly my Kingdom Hearts system as that was the exclusive franchise I was in love with from that system. Now in days I use my PS3 to play PS2 games via HD Remasters, PS2 classics on PS3. (Would have done more if I had the fat system backwords compatibility, but I have the Super Slim and the fat systems are unreliable overall.) Can not say on Xbox as I never owned or cared about the system brand.

And during the 7th Gen early years I was more for the original Wii and Xbox 360, but after the PS3 got better later in its life span. I became less interested in the former's and take the PS3 any day of the week in the end.

Did not like the Wii U and Xbox One, and was first rooting for PS4 because I love the PS3. But over time the PS4 became boring and uninspired and I stuck with PS3 along with 3DS and less degree the PS Vita via PlayStation TV (would have done more with PS Vita via the PlayStation TV if it was not for the compatibility issues/expensive memory cards). But then the Nintendo Switch came and was my better answer overall.

There are exceptions of this. I like both the NES and Sega Master System for different reasons but NES was better overall. And SNES and Genesis was the same thing. But I was not a fan of the PSP because of its issues compared to the Nintendo DS. Which is why I take PS Vita and PlayStation TV over the original PSP to play PSP games because it fixes the problems from PSP.

It all depends on what gives me the best of what I want to have that is all.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 8th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Rev wrote:Eh... I don't think you are pro-Nintendo. If anything you seem to be pro-offline for your consoles. Which company offers the most reasonable offline experience? Nintendo... However this (to me) explains why you have grown more in favor of Nintendo over the years, not because of the company themself.

I agree with Rev - I see you as pro certain old skool practices, like offline, games as product and not games as a service, physical games instead of digital downloads, no day one patches, etc. Nintendo has more of this, which is something of making lemonaide out of lemons, as things like sizeable storage and an online marketplace and an online ecosystem cost money. Nintendo is still more reliant on 1st party games, so they can control things like buggy releases more then companies that have deep 3rd party libraries.

These practices are also more prevalent in handhelds, which is just the 3DS right now.

However, Nintendo is embracing DLC, which is another practice you have not been fond of.
https://kotaku.com/nintendo-reached-a-dlc-tipping-point-this-week-1824220365

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 8th, 2018, 6:10 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:In the Axiom Verge thread someone had mentioned I am pro-Nintendo. If that's true, it's been a pretty late development.

In the 80s, I started with an Atari 2600, moved on to the Atari XE computers, and finally the Atari ST.

In the 90s, my system of choice was the Genesis, but I transitioned to the Playstation.

In the 2000s it was the PS2, but by the end of the decade my favorite was the Xbox 360.

In the 2010s I leaned toward the Wii U/Switch, mainly because the PS4 and especially Xbox One seemed to be going "all in" with the online stuff.

So if I'm in the Nintendo camp it took me a long time to get there. Thoughts?

I think your "pro-nintendo" and that may or not be a bad thing. I made the comment but certainly did not mean any offense. Reviews are certainly subjective and besides...it's your site...do with it what you will.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 8th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Having followed this site for a long time, I don't think you're biased toward Nintendo at all. In fact, you've famously caught a lot of flak over the years for your B-range scores on some of the biggest N64 games (like Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, and Mario Kart 64). You do realize that giving Ocarina of Time a "measly" B+ is the equivalent of giving it an F- in the eyes of Zelda fans, right??

But your scores toward Nintendo games have softened in the years since. If there is a perception that you are pro-Nintendo, it's probably come about very recently due to all your enthusiasm toward the Switch. It's a young system still, so only time will tell if that enthusiasm is deserved. But I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling that way toward it right now.

I do, however, think it's fair to say that you're pro-Mario. Again, nothing wrong with that.. everyone has their favorite series, and I've always gotten the sense that Mario is one that you really get pumped for. I know I always give you a hard time each time you post a new mainline Super Mario review, as I feel that the scores are overrated (Sunshine, Galaxy, Odyssey, etc.). But just because I share my disagreement, doesn't mean I think your opinion is wrong (heck, if I had a site like this, I'd probably overrate every Metal Gear Solid game, since I'm such a fan of the series). And maybe I'm the one that's wrong. But anyway... my point is.. since Mario is so closely tied to Nintendo, perhaps your Mario reviews create a perception for some people that you are biased toward Nintendo in general.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » April 9th, 2018, 11:06 am

I wouldn't say you are pro-Nintendo. I'd more say that you are more of an old school gamer, and Nintendo still uses old school design philosophies. Modern game design is all about being "addictive" to keep you coming back for more, whereas Nintendo seems to just try to have fun gameplay. I always thought it was telling in 3DS games that Nintendo would literally tell you to take a break from playing! Would Activision ever do that?

jon

Postby jon » April 9th, 2018, 10:47 pm

I'd say for someone to be Pro Nintendo they'd have to at the very least love the SNES and have a "soft spot" for the N64. Those are on the fringe. On the green you have A) SNES is better than the Genesis and B) SNES is the greatest system of all time. I mean, it looks like Nintendo has funner games these last few years.

djc

Postby djc » April 10th, 2018, 12:28 am

I think nostalgia plays a factor in how you feel about certain systems.

My pre-collecting gaming history went kind of like this (in order oddly enough):

Atari 400
Sega Master System
NES
Atari 2600
Atari 7800
Turbo Grafx 16
Sega CD

After that point I started collecting. As I prefer the SMS over the NES, I can only assume it's because when I was a kid, I got a SMS prior to the NES. To this day, my favorite systems are the TG16 and Sega CD.

So - no I don't think you are intentionally pro-Nintendo.

Return to “Video Games General”