Terrified of a Digital Future

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Terrified of a Digital Future

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 10th, 2018, 10:47 pm

In terms of numbers, Netflix may "win" in terms of market share just because everybody has it. It's the same reason mobile games make the most money even if most are crap.

But I think people who take their media seriously will always prefer ownership. I think the newfound popularity of vinyl records is a reflection of that. Most people are casual with their media consumption, but those who are serious about it will want physical media. Especially when it's becoming increasingly clear how ephemeral online content is.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » May 11th, 2018, 8:05 am

Anyone know where to watch programs which premiered on WireBreak.com? It was an early video streaming service, founded in the late 90's by a former Paramount exec.

http://variety.com/2000/digital/news/wi ... 117783601/

We've already seen online content disappear, seemingly without a trace. That's what's scary about this.

wur

Postby wur » May 23rd, 2018, 1:39 am

Steam has mostly-won my trust here, since stuff I bought in 2005 is still in my account and I can still install it on pretty much any device, infinitely many times. I think I've tried some other services here and there, and I haven't been too happy with them. (Especially tying games to a particular game console as in Nintendo's case) Valve has earned my trust with their distribution methods. It is kind of slick that their service is persistent with what someone bought 13+ years ago.

There are still things that annoy me about Steam though and this distribution method--eg, they're getting rid of some of the soundtrack for GTA4 , due to Rockstar losing the license for a set of songs.

Return to “Video Games General”