Favorite boss fights?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Favorite boss fights?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 2nd, 2018, 4:39 pm

List all of your favorite boss fights and why you like them so much.

1. Shadows of Yarnham (Bloodborne). This is known as one of the hardest fights in the game, with you going against three tough enemies at once. Most people summon help for this one, but I've found the perfect way to kite them around the arena so that you can fight each of them one-on-one. It's hard, but it's fair, and it makes you use your brain if you want to win.

2. Lothric and Lorian, (Dark Souls 3). Another example of a fight that's super hard while also being fair. You start off fighting Lorian, who's powerful enough to ice you in one or two hits, but once you learn to read him he's easy enough to dodge. The way he teleports around the arena keeps things unpredictable. Then when you beat him, you immediately go into another fight with Lothric riding his back. Lorian uses the same moveset, but now you have to worry about Lothric shooting magic at you at the same time. After killing Lorian a second time, you have a few previous seconds to finish Lothric off before he revives his brother again. This could have been an annoying and tediously long fight if it hadn't been planned out so perfectly.

3. Sephiroth (Kingdom Hearts 2). You think you're good at Kingdom Hearts? Sephiroth is here to put you in your place. He's insanely fast, insanely powerful, and he can soak up your hits like the world's most masochistic sponge. You'll have to throw everything you've got at him if you want to survive, but at the same time, he's got plenty of openings you can exploit to bring the pain back to him. Just make sure you have at least a half hour to kill before starting the fight.

pacman000

Re: Favorite boss fights?

Postby pacman000 » June 3rd, 2018, 5:12 pm

Tatangla, final boss in Super Mario Land. Took me forever to get there, & it was worth it.

Gary/Your Rival, the final trainer battle in Pokemon Blue. Great music.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 3rd, 2018, 9:32 pm

I really like the Mother Brain fight in Super Metroid, mostly because of the twist, which was revolutionary at the time.

The Yoshi islands bosses were really creative, which was nice since the Mario games Have a history of repetitive boss fights.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 3rd, 2018, 11:24 pm

My favorite that comes to mind is the second boss in Axelay (SNES) - an Ed 2000 clone (Robocop). Very dramatic.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » June 4th, 2018, 1:25 am

Voor wrote:I really like the Mother Brain fight in Super Metroid, mostly because of the twist, which was revolutionary at the time.

The Yoshi islands bosses were really creative, which was nice since the Mario games Have a history of repetitive boss fights.

I 2nd the Mother Brain fight that was and still is one of the greates boss fights in gaming history IMO

one of my favorites is also one that has made me rage like no other lol The Fight with Issac Frost in Fight Night Champion.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 4th, 2018, 11:43 am

Getting past the cannibals in "Jungle Hunt " can be a challenge.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » June 4th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Psycho Mantis (PS1/Metal Gear) - Everything from his creepy taunts and unsettling look played into making this boss fight unforgettable. I loved the way the original Metal Gear Solid set up these boss encounters. They really played with your expectations...often filling you with dread or anxiety as to what was lying ahead. Sure this boss fight is most notable for it's gimmicks of reading your memory card and how you actual defeat Psycho Mantis...but it's hard to imagine a more creative boss fight that uses the actual medium of videogames in a more interesting or memorable way.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 4th, 2018, 1:34 pm

This isn't for any particular game, but any boss fight that pits you against a clone of yourself. Other bosses all have patterns and weaknesses to exploit, so fighting a boss with the same moves and attacks as you makes you change your mindset. Everything you've used to beat the other bosses is now being thrown right back at you. These are the fights that I feel challenge you more than anything else.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » June 5th, 2018, 10:11 am

Psycho Mantis is a great pick - that was unlike anything I'd ever seen in 1998.

Here's a few - I'm sure I'll think of more later:

God of War 2 - The Colossus of Rhodes: Just the most ridiculously epic beginning to a game ever. The game is full of great bosses to be fair.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - The Scarecrow: These three boss battles aren't very difficult, but in terms of mood and atmosphere they're hard to beat.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Granfaloon: Just a genuinely horrifying boss in a game that's a bit campy otherwise.

Gunstar Heroes - Seven Force: This game is filled with great boss fights, but the way the boss constantly morphs as you destroy the old forms and the stage changes direction (and from vertical to horizontal) makes this one stand out.

Super Mario 3D World - Bowser (final boss): The Super Mario series generally doesn't have the best boss battles, but this one is pretty epic and memorable.

Shadow of the Colossus - Phalanx: It's hard to pick just one from this game but the sky dragon that emerges from the desert is probably my favorite.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » June 5th, 2018, 2:26 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:Psycho Mantis (PS1/Metal Gear) - Everything from his creepy taunts and unsettling look played into making this boss fight unforgettable. I loved the way the original Metal Gear Solid set up these boss encounters. They really played with your expectations...often filling you with dread or anxiety as to what was lying ahead. Sure this boss fight is most notable for it's gimmicks of reading your memory card and how you actual defeat Psycho Mantis...but it's hard to imagine a more creative boss fight that uses the actual medium of videogames in a more interesting or memorable way.

"Sooo... I see you like Suikoden...."

Yes, 100x this.

I would like to nominate Kefka from FF6 though, just personal preference. Kefkas tower using all your characters, they just keep subbing in as they die. It is purely style, it isn't even a hard fight, but I still love it and the music.

I even had a few times where I killed him before he even attacked. (Edgar jumped the boss before, defeated boss before he fell, he had the relic to repeat jump. Kefka appeared, Edgar falls repeatedly doing 9999 each time, Kefka does his speech about being a god and all that and then immediately fades away.)

Return to “Video Games General”