Compulsive video gaming = mental health condition?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Compulsive video gaming = mental health condition?

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 18th, 2018, 7:51 pm

A lot of people have been forwarding me this link, and I have no idea why!
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/06/1 ... ition.html

I just want to point our that this was never really a problem until the games started going online.
Unlike traditional video games, the online stuff is designed to string the player along in the hope he will spend more money.
I don't see how this is much different from being addicted to online gambling or even social media.

If you think I'm anti-internet, you're right! 99% of it is garbage, although I do have a soft spot for this site.

Thoughts?

Voor

Re: Compulsive video gaming = mental health condition?

Postby Voor » June 18th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Yeah, before “playing with friends” meant playing in the same room with your buddies, which you can’t do 24 hours/day.

Now, with online gaming, there is someone available to play with 24 hours/day. But, I feel that these are 1/10th as satisfying as the in room experience.

I think it’s a problem if it gets in the way of responsibilities, relationships, and other hobbies.

Plus, it’s healthy for people to get bored every now and then, but people these days are scared to have a moment without entertainment.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 22nd, 2018, 1:35 pm

I think it's rare, but a legitimate issue. You can get addicted to just about anything, and the "risk/reward system" of video games can keep you hooked similar to gambling. Years back, I remember hearing about people dying in Japan from playing marathon sessions of RTS games (like Starcraft) for a couple days straight in internet cafes. In the US, maybe the worst offender was World of Warcraft. I knew a few people that were hopelessly addicted to that game. I intentionally avoided ever playing WOW, just out of fear that I would play it too much and ignore other priorities.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » June 30th, 2018, 11:53 pm

Considering the lame agendas and depressing politics shoehorned into games, no wonder there is mental illness! People who hate games are making the games themselves. This is the worst timeline ever.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 4th, 2018, 12:26 am

Get me playing Activision games, and I'll be on the next episode of "Intervention".

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 5th, 2018, 3:29 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I don't see how this is much different from being addicted to online gambling or even social media.

Retro STrife wrote:I think it's rare, but a legitimate issue.

Well said, both ways. The article I read relating to this issue also posed the question of social media / smartphone addiction. I think I notice this way, way more than people with compulsive gaming habits. Just a casual look around while out in public will show you that a majority of people are glued to their phones, and can't even sit on a bench of stroll down the street without checking their texts, or replying to a comment.

As others have said, though, as long as they're not a danger to themselves or others, I don't have much of a problem with it. Plenty of people eat too much junk food, or smoke too many cigarettes, or drink too much alcohol, etc. We all have bad habits, or do things we're not proud of. Compulsive gaming habits do exist, I'm sure, but the vast majority of us are able to use gaming as a fun, healthy hobby. For those that can't, I truly hope that they can find the help they need.

Return to “Video Games General”