Banners Page

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Banners Page

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 7th, 2007, 7:39 pm

How did you guys like the new Banners page?  You may also noticed that I added the new "evolution" banner into the rotation.  Comments are welcome.

a1

Banners Page

Postby a1 » February 7th, 2007, 7:55 pm

I love the page, and the new banner is ingenious. There's just one little problem I had with the evolution banner. The Unreal Tournament Character isn't as recognizable as the rest, and it doesn't really fit in. All of the other characters have one foot on the left and one on the right (as if they're walking) just like the general evolution picture. The Unreal Tournament character is sort of turned towards the screen, and I thought it broke the flow a bit. Plus, it was a great evolution of generation to generation but it skipped over the 32/64 bit generation. I think something from the PSX, N64, or Saturn would fit in a little better. I know I'm being really nitpicky, but it's just a thought. Great job with the banners Mark.

chrisbid1

Banners Page

Postby chrisbid1 » February 7th, 2007, 7:57 pm

i love the evolution one

ZetaX1

Banners Page

Postby ZetaX1 » February 8th, 2007, 2:18 pm

[QUOTE=a]

I love the page, and the new banner is ingenious. There's just one little problem I had with the evolution banner. The Unreal Tournament Character isn't as recognizable as the rest, and it doesn't really fit in. All of the other characters have one foot on the left and one on the right (as if they're walking) just like the general evolution picture. The Unreal Tournament character is sort of turned towards the screen, and I thought it broke the flow a bit. Plus, it was a great evolution of generation to generation but it skipped over the 32/64 bit generation. I think something from the PSX, N64, or Saturn would fit in a little better. I know I'm being really nitpicky, but it's just a thought. Great job with the banners Mark.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the more I look at it, the less I like the Unreal dude...  Lemme see if I can find a good side-view of a Tekken or Virtua Figher 2 guy, or maybe a Madden (PS1/N64) player.  That would fill the 'gap' better, too.

Mark

m0zart1

Banners Page

Postby m0zart1 » February 8th, 2007, 3:01 pm

Hey, I love the evolution one, but might I suggest that you replace the Pong paddle with the character from Adventure on the 2600?  I mean, he was just a block after all.  Can't get much more basic than that.  And he WAS an adventurer   The pong paddle is more likely... a ping-pong paddle.

ZetaX1

Banners Page

Postby ZetaX1 » February 8th, 2007, 9:34 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart]

Hey, I love the evolution one, but might I suggest that you replace the Pong paddle with the character from Adventure on the 2600?  I mean, he was just a block after all.  Can't get much more basic than that.  And he WAS an adventurer   The pong paddle is more likely... a ping-pong paddle.

[/QUOTE]

I thought about using the Adventure "square", but I thought it was less recognizable than the Pong paddle.  It might be confused with a yellow (or green, or red) cursor from a text editor, or just a big goofy pixel.  Plus, timeline-wise, the Pong paddle is about as far down the gaming family tree as you can get.  Too bad there wasn't a Ms Pong...hmm, I smell sequel!

Mark

m0zart1

Banners Page

Postby m0zart1 » February 9th, 2007, 1:12 pm

[QUOTE=ZetaX]

I thought about using the Adventure "square", but I thought it was less recognizable than the Pong paddle.  It might be confused with a yellow (or green, or red) cursor from a text editor, or just a big goofy pixel.  Plus, timeline-wise, the Pong paddle is about as far down the gaming family tree as you can get.  Too bad there wasn't a Ms Pong...hmm, I smell sequel!

Mark

[/QUOTE]

The original Pong paddle, on the Magnavox Odyssey, was a block

Seriously though, outside of that one minor thing, I think that is my second favorite banner -- second only to the controller banner.  Both of those are great!

J.M. Vargas

Banners Page

Postby J.M. Vargas » February 11th, 2007, 5:15 pm

ZetaX (aka Mark), how about a banner dedicated just to sports games?  It doesn't have to follow the "Evolution" format but that would be nice.  I don't play or particularly like them but they remain the best-selling and most-played videogame genre.  From the old 'Basketball' Atari 2600 games down to the latest 'Madden' and 'FIFA'/'ISSS' soccer games, there are a ton of screens that would make for some killer sports banner motiff.  Just a suggestion!  

andrew

Banners Page

Postby andrew » February 11th, 2007, 7:32 pm

The banners are nice. What about some non evolutionary time period themes like 8 bit theme, 16 bit theme or perhaps franchise evolutionary like mario bros(arcade) to mario galaxy.

Alienblue

Banners Page

Postby Alienblue » February 12th, 2007, 10:43 am

I just saw the EVOLUTION banner today, I like it too, except for the guy turned towards us.

As for the PONG "paddle", it may interest all to know that when designing Pong, they WERE going to put "real" players in; the white bars were just placeholders...but they found it was fun as it was, and wanted it to be as simple as possible... so I guess you could say the paddle DOES represent a ping-pong PLAYER.

Also, Pong was not the first video game, Computer Space was... but I admit the pong paddle is MUCH more well known (I got all this from "The complete illustrated history of video games")

Return to “Video Games General”