Critic, you and your old sports games.

General and high profile video game topics.
Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » July 7th, 2007, 6:56 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]I hate sports. HATE 'em (except for womens' jello wrestling).
But I like the old OLD sports games for Atari, Odyssey2
and such. Simple rules, fun play.

INTV started the "so complicated-why-play-this -when
I-can-study-chinese-algebra" trend....[/QUOTE]

Once a man with whom I am distantly acquainted showed me a secretive and esoteric box. At about two by three feet and two feet deep, it was filled to the brim with SPORTS GAMES. He said he would sell them to me for any price I wished, because he could not even compel people to take them if he payed them to do so.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » July 7th, 2007, 8:58 pm

[QUOTE=Gunstarhero]

Man, I don't see how you can play all those old sports games. Outdated rosters, and poor gameplay. In The Zone is garbage, that would bum me out to play that again. Just think, the time you wasted playing that, you could have played a kickazz shooter for the Turbo or Genesis. Now, go put your nose in the corner.

[/QUOTE]

I must say, first of all, who the hell cares about the rosters.  If the game is fun, that does it for me.

Second, I still FAR prefer Tecmo Super Bowl over any other football game, old or new.  Sometimes simplicity is where its at.  When I have friends over, they seem to gravitate to the older sports games as well.  So Dave is not alone.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » July 8th, 2007, 9:27 am

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell] I must say, first of all, who the hell cares about the rosters.  If the game is fun, that does it for me. [/QUOTE]

Heh, I remember when Tecmo Bowl was released on the Virtual Console, and GameFAQs kids were furious about the player names having been removed from the game due to licensing issues (plus, the game was based on the Japanese version of the game, which was released a year later than the US game, and had up-to-date rosters), demanding patches and whatnot, refusing to play the game unless it told them which 80's football player all these identical guys are supposed to be.

The game is stil fun, people.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » July 8th, 2007, 12:03 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]I hate sports. HATE 'em (except for womens' jello wrestling).
But I like the old OLD sports games for Atari, Odyssey2
and such. Simple rules, fun play.

INTV started the "so complicated-why-play-this -when
I-can-study-chinese-algebra" trend....[/QUOTE]

alienblue, you sadden me with your mockery of INTV sports games.  INTV sports games were great fun to play (except hockey...never did like that game, although it was fun to hip check the opponent).  in addition, my understanding of chinese algebra increased ten-fold.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » July 8th, 2007, 12:18 pm

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell]Second, I still FAR prefer Tecmo Super Bowl over any other football game, old or new.
[/QUOTE]

It's funny you mention Tecmo Super Bowl. I've been playing that a LOT over the past week or so.

There something very satisfying about knocking Deion Sanders into the stands with Christian Okoye!

Return to “Video Games General”