Not game related...Dave, are you looking forward to Billy Corgan's solo album?

General and high profile video game topics.
zenzerotron

Postby zenzerotron » June 28th, 2005, 12:49 am

I feel that the vast majority of the music-buying population is very braindead. They seem to only buy cd's that get alot of radio play, music video promotion, seem "in", etc. Not many people stay loyal to artist(s) through their ups and downs.

Also consider the fact that Mellon Collie was overly successful. It gained too many awards, the songs and videos got too much airplay for too long. The bottomline is, I think the world was so over-saturated by Mellon Collie that alot of people "got their fill" of the Pumpkins and that's why Adore and Machina didn't sell as well.

And as weird as this sounds, Mellon Collie was so mainstream that SP didn't feel like "my band" anymore. Stupid morons who bought boy-band albums bought Mellon Collie and called themselves an SP fan, probly never even listened to Gish once.

In my honest opinion, if you combine the Adore album with the Machina album, you have 2 discs that blow away Mellon Collie's 2 discs.

The fact that Adore&Machina didn't get alot mainstream promotion and huge sales was icing on the cake, they were "my band" again.

RememberShaqFu?

Postby RememberShaqFu? » June 28th, 2005, 1:17 am

Well, there were a few good songs on Machina...namely The Everlasting Gaze and I of the Mourning...my problem with Machina stems from Corgan sounding tired, lyrically and vocally...go back to Gish and listen to I Am One or Geek Rock USA from Siamese Dream...I know that Machina is a much different album, but it sounded every bit like the "our band is dying" album that it turned out to be....actually, Machina II was far worse(though I still really like Crash Car Star and Let Me Give the World To You)....I agree with you about the fly by night fans that came out but, if anything, I thought that the period from Siamese-Adore found Corgan at his most ambitious, most inspired.....Adore literally knocked my socks off the first day I bought it...I bought it without having heard Ava Adore and I thought "wow, this band can literally do ANYTHING it wants to do!" That album, to me, solidified BC as a genius.....I was actually SHOCKED that people didn't embrace Adore a bit more considering that the album had every possible ingredient that made a great album great....anyway, I'm tired and I'm going to bed...

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » June 29th, 2005, 3:11 pm

I got TheFutureEmbrace in the mail yesterday. I'm quite shocked how good it is. I didn't think Corgan had any juice in him, considering how much Zwan sucked. TheFutureEmbrace isn't as good as Adore, but it's a great album overall.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 29th, 2005, 7:11 pm

The only problem is that Billy Corgan's album is out too early.  September would have been better.  I only listen to the Pumpkins when Autumn comes around and the world is shrouded in death and darkness.  It's like a ritual for me every year.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 18th, 2005, 5:12 pm

I just bought the album and listened to it once.  It sounds pretty good, except for that lousy "To Love Somebody" remake!  Cheesy!
What's the deal with Corgan's skin on the cover?

RememberShaqFu?

Postby RememberShaqFu? » July 18th, 2005, 11:33 pm

Actually, that's Billy's birthmark! He's been so ashamed of it throughout the years and figured that, since this is his first solo outing, he would be upfront about it(don't ask what the two have together, but that's what I've read)....the secret as to why he has worn nothing but long sleeve shirts throughout the years has finally been answered! ;-)

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » July 19th, 2005, 12:21 am

The band that Billy invented&fronted before the Smashing Pumpkins was named "The Marked", which was a direct reference to those birth marks.

Billy Corgan performed "To Love Somebody" on Jay Leno a few nights ago. As you know, it's a Bee-Gee's song. Billy was wearing a Charlie Brown shirt, yellow and black stripes like a BEE.......subtle humor there, I'm sure it was intentional.

Track 2, Mina Loy, is the best song on the album, in my opinion.

Return to “Video Games General”