Not game related...Dave, are you looking forward to Billy Corgan's solo album?

General and high profile video game topics.
RememberShaqFu?

Postby RememberShaqFu? » June 20th, 2005, 1:14 pm

Dave, I read that you're a big Smashing Pumpkins fan...not sure if you were a real fan of Zwan(personally, I loved them, having seen them 3 times in '03, including their final show!!). I was just wondering if you were planning on picking up TheFutureEmbrace tomorrow? I'll probably pick it up though it has been getting RAPED by every critic I've seen review it.

zenzerotron

Postby zenzerotron » June 22nd, 2005, 12:34 am

I'm ordering the album online tommorow.

IMHO, Zwan was horrible.

I'm dead serious when I tell you this. When Faith No More came out with "King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime", it was so bad and so disappointing, that I actually got physiscally sick/upset hearing it for the first time. Not in a vomit-type sick, but the kind of sick you feel when you just find out a loved one has died.

I never thought that would happen to me with an album again..untill Zwan came out.

This album is very "make or break" for me. If this album sucks like Zwan, I'll have to bid my old friend Billy good-bye.

RememberShaqfu?

Postby RememberShaqfu? » June 23rd, 2005, 3:23 am

Well, you'd better start packing your bags quickly...I personally didn't care much for the FutureEmbrace...now mind  you, I LOVED Adore, but this album is far too similar to that album but without that album's allure....The reason why I loved Zwan was because, unlike Adore and Machina, it reminded the listener that Corgan was a guitar player, a stellar guitar player, long before he buried Pumpkins as an alternative band. I was so excited when Machina came out, simply because Jimmy was back in the fold, but was so utterly disappointed that I couldn't even put my frustration into words...I took Machina as the "my band isn't selling anymore so I'm going to whine about it in several songs" album...there were a few decent songs but, as a whole, the album was horrible! I loved Zwan from the start, if only because it reminded me that BC could play it straightforward and focus on the songs themselves...Jesus, I/Mary Star of the Sea was the first song by him that got me excited since Where Boys Fear To Tread all the way back in 95!! It was also the first album since Siamese that I could listen to from front to finish, a feat that not even the almighty Adore could achieve. The solo album didn't thrill me but there are quite a few good songs on the album but it's uneven by his standards.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » June 23rd, 2005, 6:03 pm

Overall, Adore is my favorite album.

I had the distinct impression that the attitude for Machina was "Adore's sound/direction didn't sell, so we'll go back to guitar/rock-based stuff to sell alot of albums again". In that regard, Machina seemed alittle ingeniue.

I'm not saying I don't like Machina, but only half of the album's songs were good.

I wish that they could have stuck with Adore's direction and put out a few more non-rock/non-guitar albums before breaking up. But in the end, I guess Billy was more interested in making a final SP album that would sell  then go with his creative instinct&progession toward electronic-based music.

I orded TheFutureEmbrace from cdnow and it won't be untill another week before I get to hear it.

Even if it sucks, if it's like Adore and not like Zwan, I'll take some happiness.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 26th, 2005, 4:29 pm

Yes, I'll be buying the Billy Corgan album.  Has anyone heard it?
I actually liked Zwan, although I though they were a step down from Smashing Pumpkins - more of a fun album.
I love Adore (very haunting) but my favorite is the monumental Melon Colly.  I also have the box set which has a few gems in it.

Gunstarhero

Postby Gunstarhero » June 26th, 2005, 6:02 pm

Don't think I'll get the new album unless I have a thorough listen first...I'm more into metal nowadays.

I had the pleasure of attending the 2nd to last big show the Pumpkins put on at the United Center before they broke up for good. It was really good stuff, no other bands...just the Pumpkins for 3 1/2 hours.

Adore is also my favorite album, but I liked alot from Machina, and even more from Machina II. One of alt-rocks greatest bands.

gnip1871

Postby gnip1871 » June 27th, 2005, 3:58 pm

You can stream the new album here

http://myspace.com/billycorgan:

if you want to check it out before buying.

gnip1871

Postby gnip1871 » June 27th, 2005, 4:09 pm

[QUOTE=gnip187]You can stream the new album here

http://myspace.com/billycorgan:

if you want to check it out before buying.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I mistyped the link.  It should be:

http://myspace.com/billcorgan

gnip1871

Postby gnip1871 » June 27th, 2005, 4:11 pm

Ok, I'm having a rough day:

http://www.myspace.com/billycorgan

RememberShaqFu?

Postby RememberShaqFu? » June 27th, 2005, 7:56 pm

Personally, I didn't care much for it at all, Dave....it reminded me of Adore if Adore didn't have songs to carry the ideas of the album. I mean, with Adore you had For Martha, To Sheila(my fav), Ava Adore, Apples and Oranges, Pug, Shame, and others....actually, I like almost every track. I went back and listened to Melon Collie and god, I forgot how great that album was!! I still think that Corgan has it in him to make another great album...I mean, I would consider Zwan's album a near-great album hindered by the fact that it was all stuff that we had heard, sometimes in greater form, on a Pumpkins album. I'm personally very excited by the fact that BC wants the Pumpkins back together, even if it does reek of desperation, seeing as how Zwan flopped and, chances are, his solo album will as well...however, neither Adore or Machina did that well either...actually, Machina did HORRIBLY! By the way, if anybody missed out on live Zwan, you missed out as it was the second greatest concert experience of my life, second only to Pearl Jam(whether you like them or not, they put on a GREAT show!).

Return to “Video Games General”