Game mags

General and high profile video game topics.
Alienblue

Game mags

Postby Alienblue » July 6th, 2005, 4:44 am

My apoligies for posting so much but That's what the forums
for, I guess.

My question here is this: Since I have no 'Cube, xbox or PS2
I've been out of the magazine scene awhile. But now I'm
getting a DS (and possibly a PS3 when it comes out)...pocket
games comes out too infrequently, so what in your opinion
is the best/most trusted monthly mag? EGM? Gamepro?
Nintendo power? Newsweek? Time? Life?...uh never mind
all I need is a game magazine and HUSTLER....<:

sega saturn x

Game mags

Postby sega saturn x » July 7th, 2005, 12:37 am

Nintendo power.  They have walk throughs and surprisingly fair reviews.  Plus a good sense of humor.

John Rowland

Game mags

Postby John Rowland » July 7th, 2005, 4:20 am

I think you should save your money.  All of the print mags are a waste of time in my opinion.  I ordered Nintendo Power because I wanted the free copy of Zelda Collector's edition and I found the magazine to be pretty worthless.  If all you want is a "heads up" on new DS releases then it would be fine.  But they only have about 2 pages of reviews and the rest of the games are only given scores with no explanation.  Gamepro is absolutely terrible when it comes to reviews, and they spend most of their pages hyping games many months in advance of their releases, most of which aren't worth your time.  I honestly think that IGN and Dave are all you really need.  I have rarely been dissapointed with a game that got over a 9.0 on IGN.  And games that get over an 8.0 are also usually a safe bet, especially if you like the genre. 

The only print mag that I recommend, if you haven't picked it up already, is Video Game Collector.  But they mostly review classic games.  Everyone here that is at all interested in video game history or collecting should check it out.  Their features are all very interesting and their pricing guide is very helpful.  You can order it here:

http://www.vgcollector.com/

Honestly though, why pass on the 'Cube? 

sega saturn x

Game mags

Postby sega saturn x » July 7th, 2005, 1:17 pm

Nintendo power doesn't review games like that anymore.  They changed the layout i never read any NP mags other then the last one but it is really good.

Alienblue

Game mags

Postby Alienblue » July 9th, 2005, 1:45 pm

I wound up going with Nintendo power. Skimpy reviews but a
good layout, plus the Gamecube stuff will interest my
freind when I'm done with the DS / GBA parts.

Thanks for the advice.

Zen444

Game mags

Postby Zen444 » July 26th, 2005, 11:11 am

www.gamespot.com

It may not be a magazine, but it's the best gaming resource.

Return to “Video Games General”