magic marker damage

General and high profile video game topics.
Zenzerotron

magic marker damage

Postby Zenzerotron » July 9th, 2005, 4:39 pm

Do you know of any methods to safely remove magic marker writting from cartridges?

chrisbid1

magic marker damage

Postby chrisbid1 » July 9th, 2005, 5:50 pm

i dont use anything stronger than rubbing alcohol. if that doesnt work, then you pretty much deal with it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

magic marker damage

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 9th, 2005, 5:57 pm

I'd say rubbing alcohol is your safest bet.  I've had a lot of luck with that.   Is it on the plastic or the label? 

Zenzerotron

magic marker damage

Postby Zenzerotron » July 9th, 2005, 6:08 pm

I have a few NES carts that have the names of their orginal owners on them written with marker, mostly on the plastic. Obviously these games belonged to young children and they got borrowed around at school

Gunstarhero

magic marker damage

Postby Gunstarhero » July 10th, 2005, 12:23 am

It's virtually impossible to safely remove marker. The only thing I found that takes it off is Ethyl Acetate, but that stuff also melts certain plastics, which unfortunately is the type of plastic which is used for carts.

Space Guppy

magic marker damage

Postby Space Guppy » July 13th, 2005, 12:41 pm

Fear not!  Well, fear can be a good thing, but that's off-topic.

There are a couple of alternatives to consider when dealing with "marker" in plastics.  I posted a message on an EBay board once and was recommended a really homespun solution that actually worked.  I picked up an ExciteBike NES cart for a friend at the local flea market, but some dumbass had written their name "PaUL" in scrawl on the back in what looked like permanent ink.  The solution, magically enough, was to try an eraser.  I used a standard Pink Pearl handheld eraser, purchased at office max for about twelve cents.  With a little bit of elbow grease, it actually *came clean*.  I was amazed.  Now it hasn't worked with all the problems I've encountered, so I can't vouch for this method on any ink, but there is a second option which works *really* well for a small investment.  Mr. Clean's "Magic Eraser", these are made by the Mr. Clean brand, and you can finde 'em at Walgreen's or Wal-whatever, for about 2.99.  Little bricks of magic, they won't harm the surface (test first to be sure) and will take the ink or crud off darn near anything.  I'd be real careful about problems on the label however, but look into these methods, I am perfectly happy with my results.  I hope you have success as well!

Return to “Video Games General”