Will you get a x360 dave?

General and high profile video game topics.
HHaveYouPlayedAtariToday?

Postby HHaveYouPlayedAtariToday? » July 21st, 2005, 11:49 am

The next console system to be launched since 2001 seems to be kreeping closer every day,so what do you think will it end up under the telly?

I want one,but they better have ridge racer at launch.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » July 21st, 2005, 12:25 pm

X360? What the heck is that? The next X-box?

Sorry, been outta the loop here....

RememberShaqFu?

Postby RememberShaqFu? » July 21st, 2005, 4:44 pm

I doubt if I will....if it's above $350. I know for a fact that I won't be getting a ps3 because of talk of it being $400 or higher. Sony seems so hell bent on having power that they have shown no regard for rising development costs and the fact that their console will be mighty costly. I think that the people who would be willing to pitch out $400 for a console have one of two or three things wrong with them....1). they're morons...2). they're spoiled brats...or 3). they themselves are rich and are willing to pitch out the money for prettier versions of the same old games. I'm thinking, honestly, that if the ps3 and the 360 both debut higher than $350 and the Revo debuts for under $250, it will have a much better chance than the gc did....mainly for the downloadable content and the possibility of better launch titles...if the next mario and smash bros are launch titles, with mp3 close behind, it may do pretty well. I think, in a way, Sony is shooting themselves in the foot by thinking that power is all that important....I mean, the ps3 was less powerful than the xbox and the gc(in many ways), the ps1 was less powerful than the dreamcast, the nes less powerful than the master system, etc....power doesn't mean anything if you don't have the games to support it...

By the way, I ended up selling my psp and, quite frankly, I don't regret it one bit. I would say that, in many ways, it was the biggest waste of money of the year. I find it funny that every psp owner is now looking to GTA: Liberty City Stories to save the day...god, can anybody talk about any other game for a sony platform than that? Regardless, here's one person who will not be in line for Liberty City Stories...instead, I'll be picking up the new Castlevania for the ds or Animal Crossing.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2005, 5:29 pm

Yes.

Dave

Wilson

Postby Wilson » July 24th, 2005, 5:36 pm

I'm awful worried that they may be (a) rushing out the new consoles too soon and (b) concentrating too much on power and graphics. In terms of power the jump from this generation to the next will be the smallest one yet. I wonder if there will really be any difference in gameplay, or whether every game will feel like a useless-but-pretty clone of Grand Theft Auto.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 24th, 2005, 10:20 pm

I have many of the same fears as you about the next generation.  I think i will get a 360 once a couple must haves come out so i doubt at launch.

wur1

Postby wur1 » July 24th, 2005, 11:12 pm

I think it's too soon to launch a new Xbox, considering that they've done a near perfect port of Doom 3 on the Xbox, which is one of the most tolling games currently in existence.  (My other reason is that I purchased an Xbox right before the 360 was announced!)

I think that a system should at least have five or six years of existence before its successor is launched; it's only been four years since the Xbox was launched. Look at the NES: it was around 6 years until the SNES came out (8 if you're Japanese), and received software support until 1995.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » July 25th, 2005, 12:41 am

I think the snes got games up until 1996.  I think donkey kong country 3 came out in 96.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 25th, 2005, 9:15 am

[QUOTE=wur] 

I think that a system should at least have five or six years of existence before its successor is launched; it's only been four years since the Xbox was launched. Look at the NES: it was around 6 years until the SNES came out (8 if you're Japanese), and received software support until 1995.

[/QUOTE]
My thoughts exactly.  I think it seems like a bit of a rip off to xbox owners that the PS2 has been around longer than the xbox but will be replaced later.  Also, the Gamecube has been around about as long as the xbox (I don't remember which is newer) and won't be replaced until about a full year later.  Seems like Microsoft is still in computer mode, where they think 4 years is an aweful long time for a piece of hardware. Still, if it gets them a bigger share of the market in the end then I guess it'll have been the right move.

Return to “Video Games General”