How do you feel about lists Dave?

General and high profile video game topics.
John Rowland

Postby John Rowland » July 27th, 2005, 2:43 am

There seems to be two schools of thought on this issue, the first Roger Ebert subscribes to:

Lists of the greatest anything are, in general, the result of assignments by idea-challenged editors. If I had to list the greatest 100 films in order from 1 to 100, how, oh how, would I decide between No. 63 and No. 64? That's why my Great Movies series deliberately refuses to rank the films.”

The second is argued for by the authors of Time’s list of the 100 greatest films:

"100 lists are fun to discuss, fun to argue over. I don't think anybody should say, 'That's it, that's the final 100! No disputing this for the rest of eternity!' You know, stuff changes. Life changes. You change."

I agree with both.  I like Ebert’s Great Movies column because he doesn’t confine himself to a certain number.  It is an ongoing series, which allows him to continually recognize deserving films (I agree with all but only a couple of inclusions).  But I also like lists because they spur discussion and are fun to think about.  It’s also nice sometimes to make someone choose because people don’t have time to see (play, in the case of video games) everything. 

So how do you feel about video game lists Dave?  Have you ever considered making one/ posting it on your site?  I’d be curious to see what you come up with, but I also understand that you may have no interest in such an endeavor. 

Dennis

Postby Dennis » July 27th, 2005, 9:36 am

Personally, I love reading lists, but I hate the aftermath ... people are always like, "This list is totally invalid because it doesn't include (some movie)!!1!!!!11one"

But I always watch the AFI specials, no matter how cheezy they are.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 27th, 2005, 5:51 pm

[QUOTE=John Rowland]

So how do you feel about video game lists Dave?  Have you ever considered making one/ posting it on your site?  I’d be curious to see what you come up with, but I also understand that you may have no interest in such an endeavor. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've considering compiling a "Greatest Video Games of all Time" list, but then I think about so many "great" games I've never played (Chrono Trigger comes to mind).  I started putting together "Most Influential Video Games of all Time", but like Ebert says, it's hard to order games that are all so good.  Lately I've been thinking about putting together my PERSONAL top 20 favorite games of all time - nobody can give me flack for that!

Dave

John Rowland

Postby John Rowland » July 28th, 2005, 1:11 am

I would love to see that Dave.  Please do!

Tan Man

Postby Tan Man » July 28th, 2005, 8:12 am

That would be cool. Be sure to include "White Men Can't Jump"!

John Rowland

Postby John Rowland » July 28th, 2005, 9:37 pm

I didn't know they made a game out of that. 

Return to “Video Games General”