Further proof that the world has gone insane

General and high profile video game topics.
BigOldCar

Postby BigOldCar » July 7th, 2007, 9:45 pm

Okay, I know I posted a couple months back about the Farmers Market guy selling the NES for $95.  Well, here's another idiot--this one wants $150!  Are people really so desparate to relive their misspent childhoods that they're willing to pay triple-digit prices for a 27-year-old toy that was dodgy and unreliable even when new?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/ele/368755587.html

Nah.  Some people are just banking on the fact that there might be such losers out there.

These are the same guys who were actually surprised when the flip-this-house real estate market, predictably,  caved in.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » July 8th, 2007, 4:56 am

A lot of "too lazy to check" people see a "collectible" item (Or an OLD item) and automatically think it is worth big bucks.

It ain't.

Take postage stamps. They came out first around 1850. Now, the very first 10 cent stamp is worth like 15,000 bucks, true (in mint condition)...BUT, did you know some stamps as old as 1851 only cost 2 dollars, used?! That's because they made MILLIONS
of them. A lot survived. Hence, the low price.

As usual it's DEMAND + AVAILABILITY = worth!

(As an aside I was pleasantly surprised to see in a TOYS Collectibles book I just got,under games-VIDEOGAMES were listed!)

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » July 8th, 2007, 10:18 am

but, there are some games that are selling for a boatload of cash that were printed in the millions *stares at final fantasy vii*

so to an extent, demand alone will push up value.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » July 8th, 2007, 1:14 pm

"Demand Alone will push up value".... that is true is the buyer is either a novice and thinks a 1985 NES DUCK HUNT is worth $50, or else is extremely rich and doesn't care... in that case the adage "Time is Money" comes up... instead of spending perhaps days seeking out the best price, they elect to pay WHATEVER just to get a decent version of what they want NOW. (I'm poor, so I shopped around for lowest Odyssey2 price... well, lowest was $12 but no gurantee it works...for $22 I got a gurantee it was complete and worked, which I thought worth it. Cheapest isn't always best. You can get some $100 stamps for 2 or 3 bucks, but then you find out WHY...they are torn, dirty,creased or otherwise worthless(Yes, I used to collect stamps-also coins, toys, bottles, dust bunnies...)... before paying $6.58 for a game that's supposedly worth $200 you may want to BE SURE IT WORKs AND IS NOT A PIRATED COPY! as always BUYER BEWARE(I'm fulla cliche!)

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » July 8th, 2007, 3:54 pm

i remember seeing the handheld "atari cosmos" (made in 1981) being sold on ebay a couple of years ago for over 18,000 bucks.  granted, only 5 are known to exist, but 18 grand is a hefty sum.  as alienblue said, it's all about supply and demand.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » July 8th, 2007, 4:13 pm

[QUOTE=gleebergloben]

i remember seeing the handheld "atari cosmos" (made in 1981) being sold on ebay a couple of years ago for over 18,000 bucks.  granted, only 5 are known to exist, but 18 grand is a hefty sum.  as alienblue said, it's all about supply and demand.

[/QUOTE]

and desire... lets not forget that one.  when you really want something that might remind you of how it was when you were young...lol... when you get it it never matches the real thing apart from when I got a cbs colecovision...

Teddy

Postby Teddy » July 17th, 2007, 3:13 pm

What the description said I dont think he will get that...  Even from the stupidest moron.  You can get other auctions similar to that for much less.  If you could get that i would be making a bundle to sell on ebay right now...  Right this minute, exactly this minute...  Yep you wouldn't even be able to read this post because I would be to busy ebaying...  But you cant get that dough for it so im just stuck at the computer talking to you guys   lol   

Mephisto

Postby Mephisto » July 22nd, 2007, 3:35 pm

My grandfather has a stamp for 1811 worth 16,789e.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » July 23rd, 2007, 5:03 am

Mephisto: What is 16,000+"e"'s worth american? 28 cents?

No seriously, the first actual U.S. postage stamps came out in 1847. Before that they had U.S. stamps called "postmaster provisianals" sorta like hand pressed stamps on envelopes.

Britian was the first to produce a postage stamp, the famous "penny black" ... but remember what I said about availability- that first stamp was made in the millions; people would glue them to stuff to decorate things! So today used ones are worth under $100, still. I'd need to know more about your stamp to figure the actual worth here (or there are probably sites that can give you an estimate).

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » July 23rd, 2007, 5:47 pm

Everyone on Craigslist lists a much higher price than they expect to get.  That's why he says "or best offer." 

Return to “Video Games General”