Best/worst SHMUPS?

General and high profile video game topics.
John Rowland

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby John Rowland » December 23rd, 2005, 5:59 pm

[QUOTE=Caféman]Let me tell you the legend of a gamer named Chuck. Chuck frequented DCTP, Gaming-Age, and a few other little forums back when Giga Wing was released for the Dreamcast. Chuck was the type of gamer who would play one game, no matter how hard it was, and try to improve until finally, he was it's master.  Chuck was convinced that he could get through GigaWing on 1 credit. He would report his progress, getting closer and closer. Finally, with the exception of defeating the very last boss, Chuck got through the entire game on 1 credit!  That alone proves that Giga Wing does reward practice ... although, I will probably never accomplish Chuck's feat.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know.  Do you know what difficulty he was playing on?  So what difficulty do you play on?  And how far can you get on one credit? 

[QUOTE=Caféman]At the time, I really liked the reflects and absorb style gameplay of the GigaWings and Mars Matrix. It really changed the way you have to play a shooter. I wouldn't want every shooter to feature this kind of power, but I really liked using them in especially GigaWing and Mars Matrix. [/QUOTE]

I think it is fun to use those attacks, I just think they could cover up poor level design too.  "Oh, whoops, I guess we didn't leave a way to avoid all those bullets.  Hope you saved a bomb!"  Or maybe I just suck. 

[QUOTE=Sketch Turner]If you like Gunbird 2, you may like Mobile Light Force on the PS1. Ignore the screwed up box, i's actually the original Gunbird. A somewhat screwed up port for the removal of cutscenes, but the great shooting action is intact, and it's dirt cheap.[/QUOTE]

THANKS!!

Caf

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby Caf » December 23rd, 2005, 7:13 pm

[QUOTE=John Rowland] That's good to know.  Do you know what difficulty he was playing on?  So what difficulty do you play on?  And how far can you get on one credit? [/QUOTE]

He was probably playing on Easy, or the default. I can't remember what I played on -- either Easy or the Default (which may be Easy).

I have not played any of these DC shooters for 2 years, so my memory isn't clear on settings. I think I could get to level 3, or though level 3, on one credit. Sometimes.  I think I always tried to play for score more than anything else -- and when you continue, your score resets.

In Mars Matrix, I was playing for score, and you need to to do those awesome little chains to get the really good scores! At first you don't know how on earth anybody could score that high, but then after watching the first unlocked tutorial, you finally "get" how a real master plays MM, then you probably tried with futile efforst to do it!

Zenzerotron

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby Zenzerotron » December 24th, 2005, 1:45 am

I'd  like to add that GigaWing 2 is a huge improvement over the first game.

Alot of people don't care for these games, but I like Raystorm and RayCrisis for PSone a great deal. They have an interesting art-direction and personality to them, even though the gameplay isn't the greatest. Considering you can get these games for 10-15 bucks, I see no reason not to pick them up.

I think when they removed the endings and cutscenes to Mobil Light Force/Gunbird for PSone, they destroyed the charm of the game. What I like so much about the Gunbird games are the funny&cute interactions between the characters/ships. You're really motivated to play with every character(s) combonation just to see all the various endings and cutscenes. It's what makes the Gunbird series a pleasure to play-through again and again. Without those cutscenes&endings, you're left with a shooter you'll only play through once or twice.

Sketch Turner

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby Sketch Turner » December 26th, 2005, 1:42 am

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron] I think when they removed the endings and cutscenes to Mobil Light Force/Gunbird for PSone, they destroyed the charm of the game. What I like so much about the Gunbird games are the funny&cute interactions between the characters/ships. You're really motivated to play with every character(s) combonation just to see all the various endings and cutscenes. It's what makes the Gunbird series a pleasure to play-through again and again. Without those cutscenes&endings, you're left with a shooter you'll only play through once or twice. [/QUOTE]

I agree the cutscene removal was pretty devastating, but I think the game still has a lot of fun. But I'll admit, I tried the arcade game after beating the ps1 version. With all the cutscenes, it's a true classic. Hey, you could always learn Japanese and buy the Saturn version. Why they couldn't just translate the rest of the game I'l never know.

John Rowland

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby John Rowland » December 31st, 2005, 8:47 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]Cannon Spike was the only shooter for the dreamcast I was actually interested in.  Except that game costs a pretty penny these days.  If you could posts some thought on that game after it comes in that would be great![/QUOTE] 

Cannon Spike is awesome!  It basically feels like Super Smash Bros. Melee (a game I hate btw) turned into a shooter.  You have several different characters to choose from and each has unique attacks (1 close range weak/fast, 1 close range strong/slow, ditto for long range, a special "bomb" attack, and combos).  Playing through the game with different characters adds a lot of replay value.  I didn't play it with a friend but I bet that would be a lot of fun too.  Oh, and the graphics are awesome!

My only big complaint is that each stage is comprised of just two rooms, so it doesn't really have the epic adventure feel that the Contra and Metal Slug games have.  I'm also not a big fan of having such eclectic/incongruent stages, enemies, and heroes.  The music sucks too. 

Overall, this is as good as fast-paced pick up and play arcade action gets!

John Rowland

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby John Rowland » January 10th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Mobile Light Force (PS1) is a solid shooter!  Thanks Mr. Turner!  Believe it or not, I don't play shooters for the cutscenes .  It prompted me to grab two other budget shooters for PS2: Mobile Light Force 2 (aka Castle Shikigami) and Castle Shikigami 2.  Has anyone here played these? 

Zenzerotron

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby Zenzerotron » January 11th, 2006, 12:27 am

I own both games. They are good as 10 dollar investments, but not full-price fun. The most interesting aspect of both games is that your firepower intensifies if you intentionally put your ship in danger.....being extra close to enemy fire. As you play these games, you start to live life recklessly, for the sake of dealing out more death.

One funny note............the cover art for Mobil Light Force(PS0ne) has zero to do with the game. Mobil Light Force 2(PS2) has the same cover, and not only does it have nothing to do with the game, but these 2 games aren't even the same series!

Conn

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby Conn » January 14th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Does it have to be a shoot-em-up or just a shooter in general?

Conn

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby Conn » January 17th, 2006, 12:28 am

Screw it, I'll list good shooters.

Megaman
Megaman 2
Megaman 3
Galaga
Galaga '90
Nanostray
Gunstar Heroes
Gunstar Super Heroes
R-Type
Gate of Thunder
Contra
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
Alien Homind

Cafeman1

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby Cafeman1 » January 17th, 2006, 9:43 pm

I'm hooked all over again on Darius Gaiden on the Saturn. I was surprised to find new hidden power-ups and even extra ships that I never found before (you gotta shoot the backgrounds, if there is a hidden goodie, it flashes until you pry it loose).

One thing I don't understand is how if I'm at the full power of weapon one, I beat Golden Ogre faster than if I'm one red power up past that, which is the first form of the red shots. 

Return to “Video Games General”